Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: strange noise

Default strange noise

I posted this in the general section, but thought I'd check here... boat runs smooth. and seems to go away after boat is warm sometimes.

whats that clanking noise?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFz4NXMremU
    08 Outback. Private Lake Owner.

Hard to tell, but that doesnt sound good to me. Have you experienced any engine issues in the past? I would maybe pull the valve covers off and make sure all the lifters and rockers are still properly seated. If its something more internal than that, it could become a bigger problem.

Can you pin point the location of the noise? ie. front, rear, left or right side?

Hopefully its nothing major.
    "The Boomba" '12 Mojo 345HP

Tow Rig: '08 Duramax

Replyed on your other thread, but i suggest checking your impeller. I had one that was slightly longer than my spare and cuased a similar kinda sound...
    07 Outback DD

Sounds like a water pump or something starting to go bad.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Default strange noise

Use a long metal extension to help locate the noise. Place one end to your ear and the other to different areas on the engine. This will help to pinpoint the origin.

****be very careful to keep yourself and the extension away from moving parts!!!!*****

Or better yet...
    Last edited by Boonejeepin; 04-14-2014 at 11:24 AM.
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

Quote Originally Posted by Boonejeepin View Post
    Use a long metal extension to help locate the noise. Place one end to your ear and the other to different areas on the engine. This will help to pinpoint the origin.

****be very careful to keep yourself and the extension away from moving parts!!!!*****

Or better yet...
    An old redneck way also is cut a foot or so off the top of a wooden broom. Then use the round side at your ear, take your thump and cover the top, putting your knuckle against your ear. Use the other side to touch parts of the engine. You will be amazed all the things you can hear. This will help you hear exactly the part thats making noise.

Seriously, this is not a joke, I have a wooden dowel in my tool box I use LOL
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    An old redneck way also is cut a foot or so off the top of a wooden broom. Then use the round side at your ear, take your thump and cover the top, putting your knuckle against your ear. Use the other side to touch parts of the engine. You will be amazed all the things you can hear. This will help you hear exactly the part thats making noise.

Seriously, this is not a joke, I have a wooden dowel in my tool box I use LOL
    I have not heard that one..... My luck, trying to explain to the ER doc why a stick is stuck in my ear..

Quote Originally Posted by mcdye View Post
    I have not heard that one..... My luck, trying to explain to the ER doc why a stick is stuck in my ear..
    Thats why your thumb knuckle cover the end against your ear LOL
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

It sounds like a lifter ,pushrod,taping the rocker arm , removing the covers inspecting and reinstalling I would do if its coming from the top end.
    2012 Mobius LSV
    05 Outback LS SOLD

Pull the belt off and see if it quits. that will eliminate something in the water pump and alt.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV