Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mud Flaps

Default Mud Flaps

So I searched the forum to see what people are using for mud flaps to prevent rock chips but most of the posts I could find are from a few years ago.

What are people using to prevent rocks chips? From what I have read, I keep hearing about RockTamers and Towtector systems. Does with offer an advantage over another? Are there any other options?

I was about to order the Rock Tamers but wanted to see what people thought.
    Jesse

2014 Mondo

I bought the rock tamers only for my 1800mile drive to green bay. they have not been on the truck since. in the many years of towing, I have not ever seen evidence of rock chip damage to either boat and only have the basic ford stock mudguards. granted I was 15 miles from the ramp in Idaho and only 3 here. if I do any long distance towing to a different lake, I'd probably use them but so far no issues..
    rocktamers are spendy and I found out the hard way at 8pm the night before I left to green bay that your receiver hitch has to stick out quite a ways to allow them to install on it. I was at home depot buying another one at 8:30 that would work.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Default Mud Flaps

I use rock tamers to protect the boat, as I drive a minimum of an hour to the closest lake and we have lots of roads with debris. I do have some sign of rock chips from before the tamers and I think they help. I don't like the look of them on the truck and the hitch rattles a bit (side to side, because of the arms) when you don't have a trailer weighting them down. I typically leave them off the truck until I get to boating season and am towing every weekend.
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

I use rocktamers for towing as well. I think it is worth the $ to help protect the front of the boat, especially on long trips.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

I had mud flaps on my old motorhome and they do very little except to protect the laterals on the trailer. As long as you have the pointy end of the boat up front the deflection is so little that there is very little impact on the boat. Mudflaps will help on the trailer axle and fenders as I've had to repaint mine but now I drive slower on gravel.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

I suggest making your own as I did. Completely stainless steel and only have about $70 into it. 20140316_205502.jpg

Very nice -- how is that attached to the hitch?
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

Default Mud Flaps

Check these out...

https://www.intheditch.com/FW_ITD9401.php

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SKTIC8_XKkw

Tons of applications, from straight hitch, mud flaps w/hitch to deck. Pretty cool. I have the hitch, mud flaps, and storage rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1998 Outback

I used a 2" wide stainless U-bolt (3/8" thread) to go around the ball mount and a 1" x 1" x 4" spacer to raise it up a little. Still gives me plenty of room to get my lights plugged in and my receiver lock out.

20140410_182515.jpg

Hey I know that truck! Time to get it cleaned Reed.
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"