Default Head unit advice please...

I'm looking at putting a very simple system in my 2002 Outback. With all the underwater brass I'm replacing this year, simple is all we can do right now. We don't care about blasting the lake, and we will never host a beach party with our boat stereo.

No tower speakers or sub for this year. We just want a decent head unit and four 6.5 speakers that will sound good when we are anchored or slow cruising.

Would like Bluetooth but don't really care about CD, I'd rather not carry around a bunch of CDs anyway.
    I like the Polk speakers...the MMs, but I can get a deal on JBL or Infinity speakers. Also looking at the Kenwood KMR-M308BT for a head unit. But not hung up on any of this stuff…

What are some recommendations for a head unit that won't break the bank but can be run through an amp to power the speakers and a sub next year?

If you have a AMP already to power your cabins, you want to play off your phone and dont care for CDs then start with an upgrade now that will last for your future builds.

GO with a Wetsounds 420 or an Exile ZLD or the Kicker or what ever other brand you like Zone controller.

This way your already building on your new system, the cost is in the good head unit category and down the road these can control volume on the tower cabin and sub.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

The JVC KD-X31MBS marine head-unit w/BT is a nice unit and it will support marine remotes. No CD, but has USB an AUX (front) and front and rear/sub RCA outputs. I think Sony has released a new marine unit with BT, but i havent slowed down enough this spring to dig into it. Sony offers both LED and no display remotes.

My only negative is the front AUX jack. pointed out to the JVC rep why this is not good in boats and he said he would take that idea back to the decision makers.

There are some advantages to retaining a traditional head-unit, but with today's source unit options, its not a must. Having that little but of line level voltage pre-EQ is a plus. It allows for lower gains on the EQ and the amps. If you go AUX right into an EQ with an adjustable main and AUX, i bet you'll find that the AUX gains want to be a little high then main thats fed via the head-unit. Its also nice to have an amp/EQ turn-on circuit from the head-unit, as opposed to using a toggle to trigger them.