Thread: moved sub

Default moved sub

moved sub from drivers helm area to under the observer seat area. have it laying flat, with sub pointed straight up. I'm gonna upgrade to the exile 12 in the off season but for now I kept the kicker 10 inch in the marine box. sounds no different in observers area than it did under drivers area far as I can tell. any potential issues you experts can foresee?

Sent from my iP5s on an app called tapatalk 2
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

[QUOTE=jpetty3023;238752]moved sub from drivers helm area to under the observer seat area. have it laying flat, with sub pointed straight up. I'm gonna upgrade to the exile 12 in the off season but for now I kept the kicker 10 inch in the marine box. sounds no different in observers area than it did under drivers area far as I can tell. any potential issues you experts can foresee?

99% of the people who have experienced both would prefer to have a direct-radiating subwoofer under the driver's helm rather than in the enclosed observer's compartment. It is hard for me to imagine why you don't immediately hear a large difference. Perhaps you have yet to shut the observer's cushion and step away. Perhaps your existing system is improperly set-up, tuned, crossover, etc. Perhaps the music choice impacted your observation. Did you try it with music containing a real string bass instrument or was the bass generated from a keyboard or synthesizer?
    There are countless problems with a sub concealed in the port side locker.
    *The fiberglass structure is beefy. The seat cushion is dense and thick. This attenuates the bass just the same as if you placed the sub in the engine compartment, a structure designed to attenuate engine noise. Expect, on average, a 6dB loss which means the sub and amplifier have to work four times harder to produce the same output. In every case, the sub and amplifier that is operating most conservatively sounds the best.
    *Air is elastic. The port locker and adjoining cavities constitute an enormous displacement. More air=more compliance=more bass energy consumed & lost inside the locker and less getting out.
    *The bass energy from within a closed locker presses against the back side of every coaxial down the port side of the boat, modulating those speakers in a bandwidth that they are not intended to play and out of phase. This disrupts both the coaxial's midbass and midrange clarity.
    *The bass energy that is released from the solid enclosed port locker is phased-delayed so integration with the fullrange coaxials is very poor with little to no continuity. The sub sounds detached.
    *The bass emanating from the closed port locker sounds tactile. You will feel it. It booms, rumbles and thumps. But there is no bass articulation, no transients, no midbass attack, no pitch accuracy, as these attributes have been filtered by the enclosed locker. It's more of a boat shaker than a musical bass maker.

You can vent the port compartment and somewhat improve the results. The ratio of vent surface area to compartment displacement needs to be positive, meaning the vent needs to be as large as possible and at least as large in surface area as the sub. While a big improvement, this still will not get you to the output level and bass sound quality of a direct-radiating sub on the driver's side.

Default moved sub

All that 'splaining to tell you that your playlist of Bieber, One Direction and Nickleback sucks azz.

Default moved sub

haha that was a whole lot of "I suck" and prolly need to move it back huh!!

Sent from my iP5s on an app called tapatalk 2
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV