Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default One more ballast thread

So bare with me guys, I know there are so many threads related to ballast options. I have searched quite a bit to get info and most of what I read up on is in regards to surf weight which I'm not interested in at this point, I want huge wake boarding wake.

I own a 2004 supra launch 22. SSV. The boat comes factory with 600lb center ballast and 250 in each rear corner. I am debating about swapping out the center bag for a fly high 1180lb sac. I may consider swapping the rear corners to the fly high 565 bags but don't know how beneficial they would be for wake boarding only. On a typical day I have at least 5-6 people in the boat sometimes more.

I guess my questions are,

-from what you guys have seen or heard would upgrading the center sac from 600 to 1180 make a significant difference in wake?

-do you think the 565 corners would be neccesary with the upgraded center considering my normal crowd?

-lastly I still have factory ballast system ( sprinkler style fillers), do you think it's necessary to upgrade those If I change bags?

Thanks for any input!

Yes, yes and yes. Call spencer at wake makers and he will get you straight
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Upgrading the center sack is huge! Front weight is important. I assume you have a playpen bow?

With the upgraded front weight, you will need rear, even with the crew. 565's would be a decent option because they would be good weight wise ... in line with the bow weight to get the good wakeboard wake. However, if you are going to buy bags, why not just get something in the 750+ range so you don't have to do it again when you inevitable end up surfing. You don't have to fill them all the way, no problem partial filling and the price difference is minimal up front.

I ran my upgraded ballast on the sprinkler valves. It's slow but it works, easy to trace down any issues. It's nothing to write home about but it works. I would often fill while driving to our spot.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

My issue with the 750s is the limited space. They probably wouldn't feel past 565 anyways before pushing on outer walls and front. I worry if there was ever a kink in the overflow that it could cause damage as it over expanded. I want to upgrade all these things but unfortunately it gets a bit expensive and I just blew a BIG load on a full stereo upgrade that will vibrate the wake lol. Ali's there a forum code or anything that would help out with the cost from wake makers or another retailer?

On a budget, your crew can act as the counter weight against the 1180. Worst case, you can dump weight out the front but that boat loves nose weight.

I was more pointing out that if you are going to upgrade to anything, might as well go as big as you can. You would have to measure out the lockers. my frame of reference is 05 21v ... 750's filled it. SSV is a little different, bigger back there I thought.

full stereo upgrade you say?

Oh, yes wakemakers offers a forum discount.
    2016 Moomba Mojo

Oh, another ... that 1180 won't work unless you have the playpen bow.
    2016 Moomba Mojo

Thanks for all the info here, I do have the playpen bow ( I think ). Has the padded walk thru to the front that can sit up on either side to separate rear cabin seating and front seating.

I may try just the 1180 first without rear quarters and if I run into some spare money add the rears. Typically no one ever sits in the front, I will have three guys on the back bench, one on the left side, me driving and a yeti 110 right behind me with about 200lb of liquid courage. Lol.

As for the stereo, I took out the factory deck and added a new alpine deck. I replaced all cabin speakers and tower speakers with JL components and added a 3000 watt 12in sub in a ported box in place of the factory 10. I have a sundown 1500-1 amp on the sub operating at 1ohm and an 750 watt amp on the components. I had a custom amp rack built in the battery compartment to seal the Amps and give easy access. The highs are probably 4 times louder than factory and the bass is probably 10x.
    Last edited by onebadssv; 02-03-2016 at 11:54 PM.

Yes, that is the playpen. 60/40 front/rear is a good weight ratio to start at. More bow weight is more consistent but lippier, more rear weight takes more speed but gets bigger/rampier.

Have you seen the Audio and Electrical section of the forum? It loves build threads if you have a camera.
    2016 Moomba Mojo

I'll uncover it and get some good pics in the next few days to show the progress I've made on the boat in the last few months. Thanks again for all the heads up and tips.

I guess when it came down to it I was just curious how much that extra 500lb could actually do in bow weight or rear weight. I didn't know if it would allow me to get the extra wake I need to add a ft of air or take my landings from barely clearing wake to dropping in the flats etc. if it does those things it would be an investment well worth it.

It may help that I ditched my old board and just bought two new boards and binding sets that I'm stoked about, a slingshot nomad 155 with rad bindings and a hyperlite kruz 144. With ronix parks bindings.

FYI the 750 are cheaper that the 565. Plus you can find them all over the forum for sale .
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold