Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Depends how bad you want it! With a direct drive I would say no problem- engine is easy to access- use it, drain the block, drain the water pump, blow out the heater and transmission cooler, good to go. With a V-drive the access is more challenging but if you read over the winterization procedures and get 'er dry then go for it (don't forget about the ballast system). temps mid to low 20s I would definitely drain it or run antifreeze through it.
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

V-drives aren't really that much harder to drain than direct drives, you just have to step up and over into the locker.

I have had some oops nights in the fall that went colder than 20 and all was OK. I wouldn't plan on it but I think you'd survive one night at 25.

If you want to take it out, plan on draining it. It will probably take less than 30 minutes but give yourself an hour if you've never done it. It's easy as long as you know how to use a wrench and a screwdriver. If an hour of work is worth a day on the water, go for it. Otherwise wait a little longer.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

Quote Originally Posted by gregski View Post
    V-drives aren't really that much harder to drain than direct drives, you just have to step up and over into the locker.

I have had some oops nights in the fall that went colder than 20 and all was OK. I wouldn't plan on it but I think you'd survive one night at 25.

If you want to take it out, plan on draining it. It will probably take less than 30 minutes but give yourself an hour if you've never done it. It's easy as long as you know how to use a wrench and a screwdriver. If an hour of work is worth a day on the water, go for it. Otherwise wait a little longer.

I think Im going to try and drain it afterwards, and put two heat lamps on the block. Im never drained it before, but assume it would just be remove everything that the dealership already had removed, that I put it back to run it. Drain plugs out, hoses disconnect, J hose disconnect, the put the two heat lamps on it.
    2016 Mojo
    2010 Moomba LSV-Sold

If i was you GO FOR IT!!!

When you pull the boat out of the water while its on the ramp, fire the engine for a couple seconds, this will blow out the water from the impeller pump. It wont hurt running for a few seconds right after coming out from the lake.

Then pull each block drain and let that drain, have the boat on level ground.
    I would leave the block drains out.

If you have a boat heater then pull the lower line off at the engine so it can also drain.

Then you can add the lamps or what ever.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I can't think of a reason to mess with heat lamps if you are going to drain it.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

X2 to all of the above. It will get you to learn how to winterize the boat in the fall. Not difficult.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

One more question, my parents are going to let me keep it in their garage which is insulated. Would I need heat lamps then? My dad says it stays pretty warm and says it won't freeze. Any suggestions?
    2016 Mojo
    2010 Moomba LSV-Sold

Quote Originally Posted by snyderaaron View Post
    One more question, my parents are going to let me keep it in their garage which is insulated. Would I need heat lamps then? My dad says it stays pretty warm and says it won't freeze. Any suggestions?
    If it stays warm then you wouldn't need anything

Quote Originally Posted by snyderaaron View Post
    I kept my boat in the garage all winter which is insulated. He in Georgia it got in the single digits several days in a row but never really got that cold in the garage. We keep all our bottled water and soft drinks in the garage and they never freeze. Of course I still winterized the boat but don't think it was as important as for you northern guys.

Sounds to me like you probably wouldn't need them, but if you have electric to it which it sounds like you do you could even just toss a ceremaic heater out there. Get a plastic water bottle and set it on the boat- if you come out in the morning and its liquid then you did good- if it's frozen solid on the other hand...
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float