Default Looking for a New (to me) Moomba

Title says it all guys. I know you probably hate posts like this but I have no where else to go to for information. My wife and I are looking for a boat to ski and wake board behind but are on a budget of approximately $15,000. We would also like to entertain friends when we go out, as in good sound and enough room for 5+ people. I was able to locate what appears to be a decent boat to start with that is in our price range, but honestly I don't know enough about boats to be sure. We aren't professionals or even intermediates and wake boarding. We can both get up and move around, and that is about the peak of our qualifications. The boat link is below:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/boa/4338440196.html

I will have to travel to even look at this boat due to the fact I was unable to locate any neat me. What the pictures on craigslist do not show that others that were sent to me do is that the upholstery will need to be redone, at least in part. It isn't damage to the point it cant be used but it is just ugly. It appears to be in good condition (no major scratches or imperfections) other than the upholstery. The owner said that he believes that the boat has approximately 600 hours on it.

Can anyone give me any sound advice on the matter? I live in North West Texas if anyone has a lead on a better buy let me know, it would be greatly appreciated.

That's boat is just "okay". I think it's priced a little high and it doesn't make me super excited. But then again, I got a sweet deal on mine. My boat had 550 hours, tower, perfect pass, a auto ballast under the rear seat, dual batteries, heater, tower, racks, and a basic stereo. I got mine for $9,500 a year ago. It's a 92 supra sunsport.

Boats are going to start coming on the market more and more as the weather warms up and people take them out of winter storage.

In your price range, you'll be hard pressed to find a V-drive that isn't in rougher shape. It happens, but it'd be a sweet deal. If you're willing to spend closer to $20k you might be able to get a v-drive (which would be better for the ability to have hidden ballast, the rear weight of the engine being better for wakeboarding and a lot easier to get a good surf wave out of). Someday I'll upgrade from my direct drive to a v-drive for the convenience and for the ability to get a bit better surf wake.

But a DD is fine for a starter boat. When I was shopping, my non-negotiables were open bow, trunk, tower and something that didn't have wood stringers. The perfect pass is an amazing option (cruise control) and has given my wife who has never driven a boat the ability to become an instantly great boat driver. But it also runs around $1000. Much of the stuff can be added, but boat stuff isn't cheap. Getting something that already has tower and racks is nice because someone else takes the hit on the "upgrade" that they never really get the full resale out of.

If you're ever going to get serious about surfing know that it's going to take a lost of ballast to make it happen (I run 1300 to 1500 pounds). It can be done with a direct drive, but it's harder and your bags end up all over the floors and seats. My Supra has a lot of freeboard, so that makes it able to take a bit more weight without driveability issues. I wouldn't want to try the same with the shallower freeboard DD's like some of the older Malibu's that were made for slalom skiing and smooth water.

I did great with an older Supra. You might also be able to find a Malibu, Mastercraft, MB, Tige, Supreme... I'd say be patient and find the right boat.

also look on www.onlyinboards.com
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

There are a few options out there in the moomba line that might get you into a V-drive like the kanga. They are out there and a really nice option. They usually go for less than 20k and many of them are really nice. I personally would stay away from that boat you posted the link to. It is going to be a lot smaller than you think once you get inside. DD's are great boats for skiing but entertaining and wakeboarding can pose some issues. If you want t have 5 people on the boat and have ballast then you have absolutely no room to move around.

I would at least look for an open bow DD if you do decide to go with one. The older Master Craft Maristar and some of the older sport nautiques might be in the right budget and have an open bow. and I will more than likely get thrown out of this forum for saying this but it really sounds like your looking for an IO. They are less expensive for sure and you have a lot more options. If your not into wakeboarding or surfing then one of those might fit you. Of course here is the danger of the prop hanging off the back but that is all stuff you can figure out on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by dagnabbitz View Post
    Title says it all guys. I know you probably hate posts like this but I have no where else to go to for information. My wife and I are looking for a boat to ski and wake board behind but are on a budget of approximately $15,000. We would also like to entertain friends when we go out, as in good sound and enough room for 5+ people. I was able to locate what appears to be a decent boat to start with that is in our price range, but honestly I don't know enough about boats to be sure. We aren't professionals or even intermediates and wake boarding. We can both get up and move around, and that is about the peak of our qualifications. The boat link is below:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/boa/4338440196.html

I will have to travel to even look at this boat due to the fact I was unable to locate any neat me. What the pictures on craigslist do not show that others that were sent to me do is that the upholstery will need to be redone, at least in part. It isn't damage to the point it cant be used but it is just ugly. It appears to be in good condition (no major scratches or imperfections) other than the upholstery. The owner said that he believes that the boat has approximately 600 hours on it.

Can anyone give me any sound advice on the matter? I live in North West Texas if anyone has a lead on a better buy let me know, it would be greatly appreciated.