So as I'm summerizing my boat for the upcoming move to Charlotte I feel a small bit of water coming from my freshly reinstalled muffler plug and decide to give it another quarter turn and it kept on going. Great, muffler plug stripped shortly before my move. Now, the plug never leaked water After the quarter turn. I went ahead and pulled the screw which I believe is a self tapper and tried another albeit shorter screw. Same story. Unable to get ahold of my local dealer and the manufacturer of tje muffler was also closed. I ended up getting ahold of a Charlotte dealer who proceeded to tell me that he's never removed one in all the time he's been winterizing boats ( way to make me feel worse.). He was unsure of what the insides of these mufflers look like in regards to possibility of tapping new threads in fear of damaging some internal components. He stated that the muffler is never 100% full of water hence it doesn't need drained for winter. His suggestion was to find a new bolt, coat it with marine epoxy, reinsert and forget its even there. Now I've never been one for putting band aids on problems, but if I don't need the plug then it feels like much less of a band aid.

My question to you is simply what are your thoughts?