Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default muffler drain plug

So as I'm summerizing my boat for the upcoming move to Charlotte I feel a small bit of water coming from my freshly reinstalled muffler plug and decide to give it another quarter turn and it kept on going. Great, muffler plug stripped shortly before my move. Now, the plug never leaked water After the quarter turn. I went ahead and pulled the screw which I believe is a self tapper and tried another albeit shorter screw. Same story. Unable to get ahold of my local dealer and the manufacturer of tje muffler was also closed. I ended up getting ahold of a Charlotte dealer who proceeded to tell me that he's never removed one in all the time he's been winterizing boats ( way to make me feel worse.). He was unsure of what the insides of these mufflers look like in regards to possibility of tapping new threads in fear of damaging some internal components. He stated that the muffler is never 100% full of water hence it doesn't need drained for winter. His suggestion was to find a new bolt, coat it with marine epoxy, reinsert and forget its even there. Now I've never been one for putting band aids on problems, but if I don't need the plug then it feels like much less of a band aid.

My question to you is simply what are your thoughts?
    2014 SC350
    2012 LSV - sold

Mine did the same thing last year. I wrapped the heck out of the screw with Teflon tape and it didn't leak. This year I may use Gorilla glue or silicone. I would think you have to drain the water out of there.
    2010 LSV

I normally drain the water also, I would get a larger thread and screw it in. Its just fiberglass and you prolly pulled the threads out. Not a big deal on it though.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

You could also try any gasket sealer you may have around or auto part store. I use black rtv gasket on several bolts to prevent leakage on autos/snowmobiles. Stays flexible like silicon recommendation.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...mString=search
    2017 Moomba Craz
    400 Indmar Rapter 6.2L
    "X-ceeding Limits"

2004 Supra 22 Launch SSV-crushed by a massive oak tree. RIP 4/1/2023
    325 Indmar Assault 320 HP
    "One more hour"

Have to admit I just did it today. I am thinking the rtv approach may work sufficiently.
    Rusty

2013 Mojo

Anybody try anything yet ?

I wrapped mine with Teflon tape. It snugs up tight and doesn't leak. Just don't over tighten it.
    2010 LSV

Wonder if it would be ok to put some 3m 4000 on the bolt?

I would have if I had it at the time.
    2010 LSV

Default Muffler drain plug

Quote Originally Posted by 89PROSTAR View Post
    I would have if I had it at the time.
    Mine did the exact same thing. Don't know how you can winterize the boat without pulling that plug. There is a ton of water in the muffler. Anyway, gonna use an oversized self tapper and some RTV. We'll see how it works.