Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Crossing the pacific!!!

Ok so those of you who have been on here for a while know I work in the evil oil field. Well since November I have been working in a project off the coast of New Zealand on a brand new ultra deep water drill ship and our project here has come to an end. Tomorrow we will head out towards the Gulf of Mexico where our next project is. We will "steam" (more like electrify) across the South Pacific to Chile where we will navigate through the Magellan Straights coming out in the Atlantic Ocean. Once we make it to the Atlantic we sail north to Bahia Blanca, Argentina and this is where I will be getting off the ship and on a plane for home. The ship will refuel and then continue to the gulf where I will meet it. Should be a heck of a trip and I keep hearing awesome things about these Magellan Straights so hopefully I can snap some pictures.

Just a little info on the ship.
    Noble Bob Douglas is a 6th Gen ultra deep water drill ship. Left the Hyundai ship yard in October of last year. We are around 739 ft long and 120 ft wide and draft 40 ft. We have 6 retractable azimuth thrusters that will power us to a blistering 11 knot too speed lol. Don't think we will be breaking any speed records! Should take us 25 days to get to Argentina

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Sounds cool - what an adventure!
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Make sure they are using our BOP's!!!!

Drill baby drill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stay safe.
    2014 Mondo

6 retractable azimuth thrusters for 11 knots. That has to be a lot of weight you are moving. Have a safe trip.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

That's a long move, must be a good contract.
    2011 Mobius LSV

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by jester View Post
    6 retractable azimuth thrusters for 11 knots. That has to be a lot of weight you are moving. Have a safe trip.
    Yeah, each thruster is 6,700 hp too but this hull is built with stability in mind first and speed second. I think our displacement is around 170,000 tons, nothing is light in the oil field.

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Can ya surf it?

I'll check out the wake for you tomorrow...

Sent from my iPhone
    David

Wow man you have a really interesting job I tell ya. What happens when you hit storms and rough seas while on that thing? And what in the world do you do on a ship for 25 days? I imagine you're working during the day to at least pass some time?

Very cool thanks for sharing. Makes my desk job seem so boring.
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale