Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: trailer tires

Hybrid View

Default trailer tires

starting to show signs of wear and a little bubble on one so gonna replace before I have issues. I have trail America ST225/75/R15, load range D on their now. is this appropriate? I seem to remember reading somewhere the load range for our trailers should be E. is that correct or am I good with replacing with same size/load?

Sent from my iP5s on an app called tapatalk 2
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

I can't recall if trailer ties have that rating. They do have ST for trailer. E range is what you should run on your truck for towing.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I am bringing this back to life because I have several cracks on my current trailer tires and need to replace them before this season starts. I have Trail America ST Radials Load Range C ST205/75R14 currently. I googled the tire and immediately I see different results with the majority negative reviews on the tires. I even found this old thread on this forum from 2011: https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....-America-Tires

So I have a couple questions that I am hoping you folks can help me with:

1. Name a couple of trailer tire manufacturer's that you'd recommend I replace mine with (per that other thread I should look into Maxxis, never heard of them but I will). Also mentioned were Goodyear Marathons, a negative post but nonetheless the local Discount Tire has them for $91.00?
    2. Where in the hell do I get these tires replaced at? Does the boat need to be off the trailer and I just take it to some tire place that can order me the proper tires and they'll do the mounting and balancing? This is my first boat, had it going on 4 yrs. now but have never had to replace trailer tires so this is totally new to me, bear with me.

Thanks
    Last edited by Cigars n scotch; 03-26-2014 at 10:44 AM.
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale

I recommend Kumho Radial 857. They have a D load range which allows for a higher weight rating which also will allow for higher speeds. They run 65 psi max air pressure. The tire size you need is 205R14C. I replaced my Carlisle set with these a few sesons ago and am happy with their performance so far. I learned about them on the MasterCraft forum.
    http://www.kumhousa.com/tire/categor...E-E59335DE416C

Any tire shop will be able to do it for you with the boat on the trailer. They'll just use floor jacks instead of a lift. Work with one to get a tire you like. I'm sure you could also bring your own but that is part of their sales revenue so they'd likely charge you more for installation. Most tire shops stock trailer tires. I did my last set of Michelin's at the local Discount Tire. The previous owner put car tires on - they failed in spectacular fashion but that's another story.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

Default trailer tires

I had good luck with Maxxis tires on my last trailer but I only ran them for two seasons before I traded up. As TeamAllen has mentioned, the Kumho D rated tires would be a great option as well (a little overkill perhaps... But that might be a good thing).

I saved a little coin by just taking my rims&tires in to the tire shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2022 Moomba Mojo
    2013 Moomba Mojo 2.5 (sold)

Tow - 2019 Ford F150 Ecoboost

My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post

Those are the ones I have right now since the other 4 went out last summer.

I like them a lot so fare. I have about 1K miles towed on them. No issues, ride quite, no wear on them so fare.

I want to say I paid around 125 each then mount and balance. Those guys where fast too, it was like 1 hour to remove all 4, then replace mount and balance.
    Last edited by mmandley; 03-26-2014 at 02:53 PM.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Same here but not sure mine are Load Range E... All good though.

Pay a little extra and get 'em balanced. Technically you don't need to (?) but why not considering what they're hauling.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Most trailer tires these days are made in China. That has been a great downfall in quality according to two tire guys i dealt with in the last two seasons. 2 seasons and two blowouts. One was Goodyear marathons which (used) to be considered decent tires and my other was a Carlysle. Both tires Made in China. Kinda hard to avoid, but if you can this is one thing to watch for.

The other thing i have really learned is KEEP pressure up to max or near max and something i also learned and i feel this has made a huge difference is to have the tires BALANCED. All 3 of my factory tires, which included my spare were not as for my first replacement as well. Since then tires are pumped full\balanced and they are trailereing better than ever. Fingers crossed....
    07 Outback DD