Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Equalizer

The wet Sounds is absolutely a marine built piece of equipment. EQ's and head-units tend to be more out in the open, so going with a marine unit with a conformal coated PCB has its advantages, but it goes far beyond that.

The WS-420SQ has chassis mounted RCA jacks on the back. the others have the RCA's soldered to the PCB and passing through the rear of the chassis.

The WS-420 has dual zone equalization, the others have single. So the 420 allows you to fine tune the in-boat and tower zones independently of each other. On the others, what ever adjustments you make to the front zone, effects the rear zone, or in-boat and tower zones if the fronts been relabeled.

The 420 has 3 independent volume zones. This is different from front/rear fade.

The 420 has 6 discrete outputs as opposed to dividing the front/rear level through the fade.

The 420's level adjustment are under the cover, so no holes in the top of the chassis where water can enter.

The 420 has true sub volume control and no adjustable low-pass filter, which is not needed with modern amps.

Default Equalizer

I went with the Clarion for $56 since Exile is sold out of the zld. Works great so far.

Interested to see what Exile has on the horizon. Will most likely upgrade the eq and the cabin speakers.
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

Default Equalizer

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    The wet Sounds is absolutely a marine built piece of equipment. EQ's and head-units tend to be more out in the open, so going with a marine unit with a conformal coated PCB has its advantages, but it goes far beyond that.

The WS-420SQ has chassis mounted RCA jacks on the back. the others have the RCA's soldered to the PCB and passing through the rear of the chassis.

The WS-420 has dual zone equalization, the others have single. So the 420 allows you to fine tune the in-boat and tower zones independently of each other. On the others, what ever adjustments you make to the front zone, effects the rear zone, or in-boat and tower zones if the fronts been relabeled.

The 420 has 6 discrete outputs as opposed to dividing the front/rear level through the fade.

The 420's level adjustment are under the cover, so no holes in the top of the chassis where water can enter.

The 420 has true sub volume control and no adjustable low-pass filter, which is not needed with modern amps.

Yep! What he said
    SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

Post a picture of how you have it all tied together, would love to see how you set your system up.
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

I'm liking this Clarion idea. Can you post a write up on here Boone?
    2007 LSV

Default Equalizer

Quote Originally Posted by Beejwest View Post
    I'm liking this Clarion idea. Can you post a write up on here Boone?
    I am not an audiophile but the Clarion has been a nice budget solution for me. I still hope to run the Exile ZLD in the future but the Clarion is working for the time being.

The Clarion will not allow true and full adjustment of the tower and cabin speakers as it will fade front/rear (tower/cabin). I have worked around this by leaving the front/rear fade at 12 o'clock giving full power to cabin and tower. I then run a PAC LC1 controller immediately attached to the EQ and before the tower amp so I can turn down the tower when I want to.

So I can adjust the whole system volume, sub volume, and tower volume (I can only reduce tower volume when compared to system volume).

When I buy the ZLD I will be able to just remove the clarion unit and PAC LC1 and plug the ZLD in. No rewiring requires.
    Last edited by Boonejeepin; 06-24-2014 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post

Exactly. The ws unit really offers more control than the exile. I was on a boat with the new exile and saw the cabin speakers being over driven by the bass of a particular song. I told the driver to turn down the bass on the cabin speakers. He was able to turn down the bass, but on the system as a whole. Lame. Obviously the sub and the xl9 towers could take more than a 6.5" speaker. But no independent eq by zone on the exile. The knob layout on the ws is better in my opinion. The pop out buttons on the exile were too close together since you could only turn them with the side of the buttons, where as my ws420 sq can adjust the buttons more from the top of the button.

There are wasteful buttons on the exile... Seriously, who needs to have a knob to change the phase of the sub on the eq???? Likewise, do I need to change the crossover frequency of my sub on the fly? Um, no.

The ws can do both red or blue illumination. I kinda like the built in P. A. System. I have used it to coach surfers.

Also, the ws has an aux output so I can feed my music to another boat... Like if we were rafted up and I wanted my music playing off both boats systems. (or many if you Daisy chained the ws420 's.)

The exile is a cool unit, but for the same $300 retail price, why wouldn't you want the one with eq controls for BOTH the cabin and tower zones, plus the other features it has?

Sorry, but the 420sq is the clear winner to me.
    Last edited by trayson; 06-25-2014 at 01:49 AM.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I have the opposite problem I guess. My wife gets blown out by the cabin speakers, and I want the tower louder when I surf. Would the Clarion work to fade out some cabin volume and allow higher tower volume without the LC1?
    2007 LSV

Default Equalizer

I have the opposite problem I guess. My wife gets blown out by the cabin speakers, and I want the tower louder when I surf. Would the Clarion work to fade out some cabin volume and allow higher tower volume without the LC1?
    You could certainly fade to more tower and less cabin with the front/rear fade built into the Clarion EQ.

Connect tower to front or rear EQ output and the cabins to the outputs not used by the tower.

or use a simple line level control in line on the RCA going to the cabin amp. Tower amp runs at head-unit volume, while the Line line level brings down the in-boat amp volume.

A better solution would be a zone volume controller like the Kicker ZXM-RLC. its a 9V per zone line driver and does not require long RCA runs like an EQ, when the amps are on the port side. The control knobs can be panel or surface mounted.