Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

You only picked up on one exclusion, there are 3.
    Here's an excerpt from RCW 46.37.340 (http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.37.340)
    (3) Brakes on all wheels. Every vehicle shall be equipped with brakes acting on all wheels except:
    (a) Trailers, semitrailers, or pole trailers of a gross weight not exceeding three thousand pounds
    <snip>
    (b) Trailers, semitrailers, or pole trailers manufactured and assembled prior to July 1, 1965
    <snip>
    (c) Any vehicle being towed in driveaway or towaway operations, provided the combination of vehicles is capable of complying with the performance requirements of RCW 46.37.351
    I think that (c) is the important one. Here's a link to RCW 46.37.351. Basically, it says that if your truck/trailer combo can generate enough braking force, then your are exempt from the "brakes acting on all wheels" requirement. Here is the summary definition of "enough force" for a truck with trailer:
    • generate braking force greater than 43.5% of gross weight
    • decelerate faster than 14 ft/s^2
    • do 20-0 mph in less than 40 ft

I don't know for sure but I'd wager a bet that the boat manufacturers have analyzed the braking system and determined that brakes acting on only a single axle can meet this independently of the truck (i.e. the brakes generate at least this much force on their own and don't depend on any part of the truck breaks to meet this requirement) I can't figure any other way that the boat manufacturers could legally sell them otherwise.

If I were in WA, I would feel comfortable that my Moomba on its tandem axle trailer with single axle brakes was legal.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

Perhaps, but keep in mind mine is 13 going on 14 yrs old and came from another state that doesn't have this law. I don't know if I'd want to jump through any hoops to prove the stopping capability. If I ever were in a sticky situation I don't want to have to explain why I only have them on the front when you know they're going to be telling me otherwise. Plus the added stopping power definitely can't hurt.

So far the parts list direct from BoatMate is starting to look a little better than the original sticker shock I was facing. But definitely not what I had in mind.

Daze - yes, the plan of attack right now is to rebuild the fronts and add a kit with mounts, calipers, rotors, etc to the rear axle and extend lines to plumb them in. Probably going to end up replacing/upgrading the entire front actuator in the process as well.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

A few people I talked to only have brakes on two wheels so I think you are in company with a lot of others.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    A few people I talked to only have brakes on two wheels so I think you are in company with a lot of others.
    If it were you - what would you do?

I wonder if this would be covered under a "Grandfather Clause" just like older cars that didn't come with seat belts. Law does not require you to add anything that wasn't required when something was built.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

I asked the State Patrol that specifically and they said no. No exceptions. Well, unless it was pre 1965.

that is interesting, i have never checked my trailer to see if only one axel has breaks. i do have disc breaks so it stops well and the guy i got the boat from had only towed it once to eastern wa since he had bought it new. i will have to take a look at them to see if both axels have them or not.
    2002 outback lsv 320 tbi
    02 f 150 supercrew lariat

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    If it were you - what would you do?
    I would not be afraid of a ticket. I usually tow with a loaded down Suburban that can stop quickly, especially with the help from my single axle trailer brakes. Most cops are too fat to bend down and start examining trailer brakes. I guess it depends on how far you tow and what kind of roads. Here, it's very flat. I take some pretty rural roads to where I launch. And, you should see the ridiculous crap that everybody else is towing. I wouldn't sweat it here. But, if you are close on your tow vehicle, tow far, have major elevation changes, etc., it might be worth adding another axle worth of brakes just to be sure you are safe. Especially if your cops are major "ricks" in your area.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Default WA Trailer Brake Law - both axles. Great...

Just buy 2 of these and fake it

Heh, heh, heh. That would work great going down the mountain.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!