Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

If not they really ought to be. Sure looks like there is a majority of states now that require it.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Default Re: WA Trailer Brake Law - both axles. Great...

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    Not to stir the pot any more, but if you read farther down under section 4, WA law also states that you must have automatic brakes on all trailers over 3000 pounds. As far as I know, automatic brakes are not available on surge brake systems.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

Wouldn't surge brakes be considered automatic?? You don't have to do anything but stop the tow vehicle and they automatically engage (assuming no lockout pin). Though I guess if the trailer completely broke away from the tow vehicle then they wouldn't engage.....hmmmmm
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

Default WA Trailer Brake Law - both axles. Great...

I think trailer manufacturers and owners have been side skirting this requirement in many states for some time. I'm certain Iowa's law is written similarly in that surge brakes really don't meet highway use requirements.

Bow and transom tie down requirements exist as well, yet you don't see those standard even on new purchases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2022 Moomba Mojo
    2013 Moomba Mojo 2.5 (sold)

Tow - 2019 Ford F150 Ecoboost

Quote Originally Posted by mikenehrkorn View Post
    Wouldn't surge brakes be considered automatic?? You don't have to do anything but stop the tow vehicle and they automatically engage (assuming no lockout pin). Though I guess if the trailer completely broke away from the tow vehicle then they wouldn't engage.....hmmmmm
    As I understand it Hydraulic, and Electric brakes controlled by the in truck controller are considered Automatic, as in you do nothing during normal braking to make them activate.

Your Hydraulic has an emergency system, or it should. Mine has a secondary cable with a hook that if the trailer comes off the truck this cable pulls the brakes on 100%

On Electric brake trailers, they are required to have an on board battery back up system so if the trailer comes disconnected it also applies the brakes. Most of the time the actually house battery is that emergency battery.

When I was hauling RVs, and Boats a couple winters ago I had to carry my own battery to install on the trailer to run the emergency brakes.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Default WA Trailer Brake Law - both axles. Great...

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    Mine has a secondary cable with a hook that if the trailer comes off the truck this cable pulls the brakes on 100%
    Ah yes, I forgot about that little gem -- mine has it too. So in my book that along with the surge brakes should cover it from an "automatic" perspective.

2013 Outback V
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

Well Damn.

As of this morning according to WA State Trooper Esquivel, no exceptions or exemptions. If the trailer is over 3,000lbs then brakes on all wheels.

Jerry at BoatMate may be hooking me up with a better solution though. He said they've been doing brakes on all axles for several years now as more states have been adopting this same law. Where it's not mandated, some dealers may have opted to lower costs by only having brakes on one axle.

Here we go....
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Bummer.......I'm guessing this is not a "mod" you had on the list for this off-season -- I hope everything works out for you.

Reminds me of a time when my wife had to use a credit card to pay for a speeding ticket in another state and she was pissed that she didn't even have a shopping bag to show for the money she spent!!
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

Default Re: WA Trailer Brake Law - both axles. Great...

Quote Originally Posted by mikenehrkorn View Post
    Ah yes, I forgot about that little gem -- mine has it too. So in my book that along with the surge brakes should cover it from an "automatic" perspective.

2013 Outback V
    Sorry, I forgot about the little cable too.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

can you not just add brakes to the 2nd axle, no need to redo everything else, bet the axles have the bolt holes already, couple new rotor, calipers and a couple brake lines and should be good and legal
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart