Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Audio help and suggestions

So here is what I have bought this offseason.

6x 6.5" kicker 100w rms tower speakers
    4x 6" cabin speakers 65w rms
    1x 10" rockford fosgate 300w rms sub
    Rockford fosgate 600w 4 channel marine amp
    Rockford fosgate 600w 5 channel amp
    Rockford fosgate rfl4d 4 gauge dual amp wiring kit

I plan to run the 6 tower speakers off the 4 channel amp and the cabin speakers and sub off the 5 channel. I'm new at this whole stereo setup thing. From my research, this seems like it should do the job.

I am also looking at adding a wetsounds ws 420 to control the tower speakers separate from the cabin and amp.

I am wondering if I am on the right track to an awesome sounding stereo?
    And if anyone has any suggestions or advise. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a pretty jamming system.

Is that picture 2 of the tower set ups? The 3rd will be the same 2 speaker pod configuration? As long as when you combine the tower pods your OHMs don't drop below 2 your amp will be fine.

I would assume if your going with a 3 pod set up like that you will just use the front left and right channel for 2 pods, then bridge the rear 2 channels for the 3rd pod. The question is does the third play left or right side music?
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I got the 2 doubles right now and am going to pick up 2 marching single speakers. I was thinking each set of doubles would be left and right and each one of the singles would be a left and a right. I'm new at this.

Quote Originally Posted by liquid_acid View Post
    I got the 2 doubles right now and am going to pick up 2 marching single speakers. I was thinking each set of doubles would be left and right and each one of the singles would be a left and a right. I'm new at this.

That sounds pretty good then. Go get r dun
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

had fosgate amps in the old supra and they performed flawlessly. great product.. all kicker currently in my daily driver. great value and 1000x better than stock setup.
    my only hesitation would be to trade the 10 for a 12, but I like a lot of low end

should be a very nice system when you are done. don't know who's installing but if it's a dyi, take your time and do it right. nothing worse than losing sound on the lake due to a hurried connection.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I got a friend who owns a marine shop that is doing my stereo and mounting my tower. Plus a few other minor repairs during the offseason.
    Thanks a bunch for all your suggestions. I might see how that 10" performs. Ah screw it. I'll just get the 12" now.

Anyone have any experience or comments about the wetsounds ws 420?

Yes, the Wetsounds EQ is a must have. Besides being loaded with features and making zone control on the fly so convenient, the added preamp voltage will help your system. Also, check out the new Wetsounds EQ billet underdash bracket that also houses the WS Bluetooth.
    I think the only tricky part about the system scenario is getting the six tower speakers balanced on the front to rear channels given that the load is not symmetrical. They'll manage. Just emphasize that point.
    And place a great deal of importance on the sub enclosure build execution.
    And I agree with upsizing to the 12-inch sub. If you have the space, the larger sub won't need to work as hard and that means cleaner bass, even if your not a basshead.

I have a 98 outback so I thought of cutting out I front of the drivers seat and sinking the sub in there. Figured that would act as the sub enclosure. It's a free air sub. What are your thoughts on doing that?

Quote Originally Posted by liquid_acid View Post
    I have a 98 outback so I thought of cutting out I front of the drivers seat and sinking the sub in there. Figured that would act as the sub enclosure. It's a free air sub. What are your thoughts on doing that?

Honestly a free-air sub would be just okay. There is nothing technically wrong with an 'IB' infinite baffle (also referred to as 'free-air') but the difference maker is the execution.
    In some models the face of the under dash floor hump is not real thick and not as rigid a baffle as one would like.
    It's not exactly acoustically isolated (sealed outside to inside) because of the nearby wiring and cable passages.
    Both are important ingredients if you want good bass performance.
    While an IB subwoofer can use enclosures that are part of the boat construction and rely on a very large & expansive enclosure (thus the 'free air' tag) they must have a solid enclosure. It takes a little work for this to pan out.

the kenwood 10 in my supra was free air. it sounded ok but again was nothing to brag about. felt like it was bottoming out on some of the more bass heavy tracks. granted it was not a high quality speaker to begin with.

I'm a believer that you buy the right sub and either ported or sealed box to match. free air = bad
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten