Thread: Wakeboard Pylon

Default Wakeboard Pylon

Can anyone tell me what wall thickness of tubing is used for the pylon that you slip over your existing pole, and what height it is.

Thanks Brian

That's uh, kind of a personal question isn't...
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

I have a Skylon Fatpole, but it is in storage for the winter so I can't take actual measurements right now.
    http://www.skylonsports.com/barefoot...s-fatpole.html

Their description says adjustable, but mine is not. Mine must be 6' (72") (I'm 6'4" and it's about eye level)

Looking at a ruler, I'd guess the thickness to be in the range of 1/4".

Are you homebrewing a solution? My friend made a DIY skylon. It worked great even though it is a little thinner than mine. If I made my own, I would go a little taller than what I have, say 7'. I actually don't think tubing thickness is critical. The lateral forces are held by the strap that goes around the nose and through the bow eye hook. That leaves a vertical force parallel with the skylon which should be easily handled by any reasonable tubing. My friend slightly bent his DIY skylon by over-tightening the ratchet, not from boarding.

I will say that for me, the Skylon product is worth it. Their product breaks into 2 pieces which makes storage easy. My friend has a lake house so storage wasn't a concern for him. I bought mine used for about $150 (7 years ago)

This makes a DD boat a reasonable wakeboarding ride without a full tower. I have enjoyed it for many years.

I can get real numbers for you in a few months if you haven't sorted it out before then.
    Last edited by gregski; 03-05-2014 at 03:03 AM.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

I built one a few years back for my Sunbird. It slipped over the ski pole behind the back seat and had two cables that attached to eyes on the gunwales. Very sturdy and easy to take down. I also put one of these on it so we didn't have to remove it to ski:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...Swivel&i=18745
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Yes doing a diy pole. I have a mill and lathe here at home so I thought a what the hell. I have a bunch a pieces going out shortly for a race boat to be anodized black and thought a what the hell might as well make one then. My daughter like to board behind uncle Danny's MC instead of our Moomba, she says she likes it better and I am hoping it because he has a pylon. Btw if any one has any special projects I would gladly help out.

Brian