Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is the best I'll be able to find for around 20K?

Hi
    I am wanting to get a different boat for this summer and am needing some advice. I own half an old ski boat that has been lots of fun but it is way past due to get something better. I would like something that would be a good all around open bow boat - bit of skiing, wake boarding, pulling a tube and surfing if possible. Ideally I would like built in ballast, a tower with a couple of speakers and a sun shade. My 20K budget will put a huge limit on my choices but I know that Moomba makes a quality boat at a reasonable price so I am going to keep my fingers crossed that if I look hard enough I might be able to find a good one.

What models/years should I be looking for - avoiding? I know that hours on an engine will depend on how well it was maintained but what would a general guide be? Stay away from over this ______ many hours unless you know that it was treated well and even then if it was treated better than a baby over this many hours ________ problems are likely.

Thanks much for your time.

PS - I live in southern Alberta but will likely be shopping in Idaho, Washington or Northern California (seems that anything decent here is way over priced) - so if you happen to have something for sale....

Sounds like you are in the market for something like a 2003 Mobius V like this one:

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=40301
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

That would do nicely! How about something like this though http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=41948 ? or this http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=41186 if it was closer.

Do I want a V drive or a direct? I know Vs are alot more popular know but if I can get a better deal? - Also checked the dollar - 20K canadian isn't what it used to be. 17-18K US would be more realistic.

If I got something that didn't have factory built in ballast could I add them so that they would be built in?
    Last edited by Frznrth; 02-26-2014 at 04:17 PM.

Or this? http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/26009 - this seems real nice if all it true - too bad its in Texas. Would I be able to find more like this if I keep my eyes open or is it an exceptional deal? - Oh Sorry took another look I first thought it was a V drive - how much would a V drive add to the cost and is it what I would want to set on or could a direct drive make a wake big enough to surf behind - without having the back full of bags?
    Last edited by Frznrth; 02-26-2014 at 04:49 PM.

You really have to decide what activities you like the best/do the most. If it's more skiing, go the DD route. If you go out with lots of friends and love to wakeboard and surf, then the V-drive is probably a better option but will cost more. Lots of DD buyers end up trading to a V-drive within a couple of years (me too). You are also getting to the time of year when the snow starts melting and the boats start moving so you better be ready when you find your deal.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Mostly I think it would be used for wake boarding. I like to ski but am not fussy - if I have to do so on less than an ideal wake no big deal. The boat would be mostly for the kids and they seem to wake board or tube. Haven't tried surfing but it looks like enough fun that it would be nice to have as an option. While it would be primary for wake boarding it wouldn't have to throw any better of a wake than a novice would be happy with. We don't get to go out enough that anybody is going to make the X games.

I guess what I need to know is:

- What hulls are decent for wake boarding?

- Which come with built in ballast or the spaces where you could hide enough ballast?

- Is it possible to surf behind a DD without having a bunch of sacs on the floor? - don't think this would be an option.

- Can you add the Wake Plate to any/all?

I'm fairly sure I would get a V drive if I could afford it but that might be a bit of a stretch - that one you found though is about in the ball park - not the greatest graphic but that might be getting overly picky for my $. Is 600 and some hours getting to be on the high side? Better off with a less used DD?

Not sure if this is sacrilege on this board but if my best option isn't a moomba what might it be? I heard that some of the other brands aren't too bad either!

Thanks much for all the help.
    Last edited by Frznrth; 02-26-2014 at 06:44 PM.

Most of the inboard brands are decent. In your market price is based on condition and hours. You have to check out each boat. There are no shortcuts. It sounds like a V-drive would be more comfortable for the family but you could get by with a DD. I'd say look for one in great condition that's in your budget. Graphics can be removed just like crappy speakers so that should not have any role in your decision.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frznrth View Post
    Mostly I think it would be used for wake boarding. I like to ski but am not fussy - if I have to do so on less than an ideal wake no big deal. The boat would be mostly for the kids and they seem to wake board or tube. Haven't tried surfing but it looks like enough fun that it would be nice to have as an option. While it would be primary for wake boarding it wouldn't have to throw any better of a wake than a novice would be happy with. We don't get to go out enough that anybody is going to make the X games.

I guess what I need to know is:

- What hulls are decent for wake boarding?

- Which come with built in ballast or the spaces where you could hide enough ballast?

- Is it possible to surf behind a DD without having a bunch of sacs on the floor? - don't think this would be an option.

- Can you add the Wake Plate to any/all?

I'm fairly sure I would get a V drive if I could afford it but that might be a bit of a stretch - that one you found though is about in the ball park - not the greatest graphic but that might be getting overly picky for my $. Is 600 and some hours getting to be on the high side? Better off with a less used DD?

Not sure if this is sacrilege on this board but if my best option isn't a moomba what might it be? I heard that some of the other brands aren't too bad either!

Thanks much for all the help.
    Here's the deal. if you want to surf, then a V-drive is simply gonna be better. Yes, I can get a decent surf wave out of my direct drive, but I'm slamming it with 1300 to 1500 pounds of weight. And only about 250 of that is hidden under seats. the rest of it is all over the floors and stuff. I can't do hard plumbed ballast except for the little 250 under my seat.

With a vdrive, you can typically plumb in enough ballast to get a great surf wave and have it all hidden (sure most of your storage goes away, but whatever).

Other v-drives to look at might be the Mastercraft Maristars, the Centurion Avalanche, and a few others. Most big name v-drives will be great. There was a Maxum v-drive made by bayliner that was crazy cheap. there's one here in Vancouver WA that the guy's been trying to sell forever for $12k and hasn't moved in a year. I'd pass. Most any tournament wakeboat is going to have a decent hull for wakeboarding. yeah, some are better than others, but honestly, are ya'all so good that it'll really matter? I pull wake to wake jumps and grabs and some 180's all day long and I'm fine behind about any DD or Vdrive. Yeah, some are more fun, but most all of them are "good enough".

I think in the long run once you try surfing, you'll be instantly hooked and want something that makes it easier to surf. You're at the bottom of the range, but it can be done for your budget if you look.

I got my Direct drive Supra for under $10k with perfect pass, tower, some ballast, dual batteries, etc. But I found that rare "budget" direct drive that was pretty damn dialed in.

I coulda got a Maristar in the fall for well under $15k, so they're out there.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by Frznrth View Post
    The boat would be mostly for the kids and they seem to wake board or tube. Haven't tried surfing but it looks like enough fun that it would be nice to have as an option.
    ..... Sounds like you should be looking for a v-drive.

Trayson brings a solid recommendation with the Maristar idea. You should be able to find some other v-drives in the 20k range too, though. I bet you find a lot more boats that fall into your range if it was bumped to 25k. 20k used to be the borderline territory for v-drives. Not sure if that is still the case or not, haven't looked in a while.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    ..... Sounds like you should be looking for a v-drive.

Trayson brings a solid recommendation with the Maristar idea. You should be able to find some other v-drives in the 20k range too, though. I bet you find a lot more boats that fall into your range if it was bumped to 25k. 20k used to be the borderline territory for v-drives. Not sure if that is still the case or not, haven't looked in a while.

totally agree with KG if at all possible bump your budget to 25K and it opens up a lot of options in the V-Drive area. Having kids means needing space and the V-Drive has a lot more floor space and overall room. I picked up my 2005 LSV for 26K in 2010... smokin deal?? i thought so and that was kijiji in Alberta. Keep lookin there will be someone that is motivated to sell so they can upgrade themselves and you can cash in on that. Plus with our dollar tanking right now trying to buy in Canada is way more attractive...
    2014 Mondo with da flow!!! Exile towers, stock everything else.... for now!