Hybrid View

Default What is the best I'll be able to find for around 20K?

Hi
    I am wanting to get a different boat for this summer and am needing some advice. I own half an old ski boat that has been lots of fun but it is way past due to get something better. I would like something that would be a good all around open bow boat - bit of skiing, wake boarding, pulling a tube and surfing if possible. Ideally I would like built in ballast, a tower with a couple of speakers and a sun shade. My 20K budget will put a huge limit on my choices but I know that Moomba makes a quality boat at a reasonable price so I am going to keep my fingers crossed that if I look hard enough I might be able to find a good one.

What models/years should I be looking for - avoiding? I know that hours on an engine will depend on how well it was maintained but what would a general guide be? Stay away from over this ______ many hours unless you know that it was treated well and even then if it was treated better than a baby over this many hours ________ problems are likely.

Thanks much for your time.

PS - I live in southern Alberta but will likely be shopping in Idaho, Washington or Northern California (seems that anything decent here is way over priced) - so if you happen to have something for sale....

Sounds like you are in the market for something like a 2003 Mobius V like this one:

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=40301
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

That would do nicely! How about something like this though http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=41948 ? or this http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=41186 if it was closer.

Do I want a V drive or a direct? I know Vs are alot more popular know but if I can get a better deal? - Also checked the dollar - 20K canadian isn't what it used to be. 17-18K US would be more realistic.

If I got something that didn't have factory built in ballast could I add them so that they would be built in?
    Last edited by Frznrth; 02-26-2014 at 04:17 PM.

Or this? http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/26009 - this seems real nice if all it true - too bad its in Texas. Would I be able to find more like this if I keep my eyes open or is it an exceptional deal? - Oh Sorry took another look I first thought it was a V drive - how much would a V drive add to the cost and is it what I would want to set on or could a direct drive make a wake big enough to surf behind - without having the back full of bags?
    Last edited by Frznrth; 02-26-2014 at 04:49 PM.

You really have to decide what activities you like the best/do the most. If it's more skiing, go the DD route. If you go out with lots of friends and love to wakeboard and surf, then the V-drive is probably a better option but will cost more. Lots of DD buyers end up trading to a V-drive within a couple of years (me too). You are also getting to the time of year when the snow starts melting and the boats start moving so you better be ready when you find your deal.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Mostly I think it would be used for wake boarding. I like to ski but am not fussy - if I have to do so on less than an ideal wake no big deal. The boat would be mostly for the kids and they seem to wake board or tube. Haven't tried surfing but it looks like enough fun that it would be nice to have as an option. While it would be primary for wake boarding it wouldn't have to throw any better of a wake than a novice would be happy with. We don't get to go out enough that anybody is going to make the X games.

I guess what I need to know is:

- What hulls are decent for wake boarding?

- Which come with built in ballast or the spaces where you could hide enough ballast?

- Is it possible to surf behind a DD without having a bunch of sacs on the floor? - don't think this would be an option.

- Can you add the Wake Plate to any/all?

I'm fairly sure I would get a V drive if I could afford it but that might be a bit of a stretch - that one you found though is about in the ball park - not the greatest graphic but that might be getting overly picky for my $. Is 600 and some hours getting to be on the high side? Better off with a less used DD?

Not sure if this is sacrilege on this board but if my best option isn't a moomba what might it be? I heard that some of the other brands aren't too bad either!

Thanks much for all the help.
    Last edited by Frznrth; 02-26-2014 at 06:44 PM.

Default Re: What is the best I'll be able to find for around 20K?

Oops

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by parrothd; 02-27-2014 at 07:47 PM.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Default Re: What is the best I'll be able to find for around 20K?

Yep, early 2000± lsv is what your looking for you'll probably need to ship it, you should be able to find a nice 300-500 hours boat around 18k unless you go to a dealer.

Use search tempest and claz to search all the private seller ads. I bought my boat in phoenix and used uship to get it to Chicago.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

I will probably be putting my '02 Moomba Mobius up for sale here soon as I have another boat already and my wife thinks that thee boats is too many (kind of selfish if you ask me).

The boat is an '02 with a little over 200 hours, has all new stereo, with six in-boats and four tower Kickers, and a sub.

The Bimini and Evolution cover are just over a year old and I had them custom made. The interior is in great shape. The only bad interior area was the rear deck covers were coming apart at the seams so I had them replaced.

The swim step has a new custom made SeaDek cover, the trailer has new tires and a Fulton F2 jack

I also added the Stargazer Perfect Pass and an onboard charger and dual batteries.

Let me know if you are interested, I will be asking $22k. The boat is in Northern California (Napa ain't a bad place as we say) and I have photos.

I bought this boat and went through the upgrade-itis as I was planning on keeping it for a long time. I love the wake that it throws. But last year I came across a Tige RZ4 that I couldn't pass up (shhh! don't tell anyone here!!)
    Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Eric.