Default Strange Oil Pressure Gauge and Temperature Gauge readings

Hi all,

I have a 2014 Outback V with the 330 Assault engine, we have just clicked over 11hrs and the break in procedure was followed.

Today on the water I noticed the water temp gauge alot higher then normal, pushing 220, at the sametime the oil pressure gauge was more then 80. I stopped the engine checked the water strainer/filter and all good. The engine didn't seem to be generating more heat then normal. Prior to starting though with the ignition off I noticed the oil pressure gauge as still showing 80.

I started the engine, the temp went down to about 190 and then climbed back to around 200, and the oil pressure gauge climbed off the dial. We returned to the dock, put the boat on the trailer and came home. About 4 hours later, I have just gone out to the boat (it is night time and cold outside) to check the gagues, battery isolator is active so power is cut to everything but oil pressure gauge is still showing close to 80 and the temperature gauge is on 180.

So i'm guessing that both my oil pressure and temperature were fine but the gagues are not working correctly.

Any one experience this before? Anything I could check before calling my dealer on Monday?

Also I know these have check engine lights, do they have audible alarms at all for high temp or other problem?

Regards,
    Aaron...

2014 Moomba Outback V

On the gauges I would be suspect of a ground issue, you could check behind the gauge and make sure its tight. If the dealer is close then with a 14 I wouldn't personally waste the time, take it in and have them check it out.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    On the gauges I would be suspect of a ground issue, you could check behind the gauge and make sure its tight. If the dealer is close then with a 14 I wouldn't personally waste the time, take it in and have them check it out.
    X2. When more than one gauge is out of whack the commonality is the ground. You can jumper from the ground block to the negative connection on the gauge and see if there is any change.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

x3, my thinking too, ground issue behind the gauges
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

thanks all I had a look behind the gauges today and noticed that the purple wire going to the temperature gauge was disconnected. The purple wire seemed to be common to alot of the gauges, does anybody know what this wire is?

I tried connecting it and running the boat and the temp gauge climbed again and froze in the high position. After several hours the gauge was still stuck, so I turned the key to run and the gauge dropped back to zero, I ran the boat again for not more then 3 mins and in that time it had climbed to around 200 degrees again, so I shut it off, gauge still stuck and will call the dealer tomorrow.

Very annoying on a brand new boat, but atleast I have warranty. Dealer is a 2 hour drive away though. I'll keep you guys posted and let you know how it pans out.
    Regards,
    Aaron...

2014 Moomba Outback V

Default Strange Oil Pressure Gauge and Temperature Gauge readings

Did you lake test the boat when you picked it up?

Does it smell like anything is hot/burning in the motor compartment when the temp gauge spikes?

yep we lake tested the boat, actually we were the first ones in the boat on the water with the dealer as it was a brand new boat. It has been running beautifully, only this past weekend (with 11 hours now on it) did the temp gauge and oil pressure gauge issue occur.

It doesn't smell in the engine bay and it doesn't feel hot in there either.

It is going in to the dealer on Wednesday so hopefully they'll sort it out, i'll get my first service done at the same time.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,
    Aaron...

2014 Moomba OBV

I'm thinking that the gauges read funny until you have the ignition on/run position so I don't think that I'd worry about that at the moment. I'd have to double check that though.

I agree that it sounds like a bad ground connection. If you have a multimeter, you could measure the resistance at the temp sender and compare it to the measurement at the gauge.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold