Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default engine rotation on 98 moomba outback

Hopefully someone cab help me out. I have a 98 outback with a pcm seamaxx 5.7l that I'm rebuilding and cant figure out rotation of the motor called PCM the say its standard LH rotation as viewed from the flywheel but the firing order on the motor says 12756348 anyone have any ideas of which way it actually rotates thanks
    98 Outback
    PCM LT1

As far as I know all inboard ski boats are lh rotation except for older Natiques.You could look at the prop on the boat and that will tel you which way it rotates.
    jy

Confirmed. Counterclockwise rotation at the prop when viewed from the stern.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Then why would the firing order on the motor be for a reverse rotation motor its stamped on the valve cover from PCM 12756348
    98 Outback
    PCM LT1

It,s posible the motor could be RH rotation,or could just be the wrong valve cover.I know when an inboard is in gear going foward the transmission is direct drive.The prop has letters stamped on it telling if it is LH or RH drive.
    jy

When in doubt, send a PM to Engine Nut. He knows everything in this area.

Edit: Ah, whatever. I just sent him a PM. He has been golden when we need him.
    Last edited by kaneboats; 03-14-2014 at 10:54 AM.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

If you are rebuilding the engine and have it taken apart, you should be able to see if the engine uses a conventional timing chain or does it use timing gears. Typically right hand rotation engines used gears instead of chains so the cam and distributor would continue to turn the way it would on a standard rotation engine while the crankshaft turned clockwise.
    Larry Engelbert
    Indmar Marine Engines
    "Power to the Sport"

I have a 99 Mobius - which is basically an Outback - and it has an Indmar 5.7L engine with standard rotation. If you have a PCM - maybe it is aftermarket? Wasn't Nautique using PCM for a while and they are opposite rotation - correct?
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Moomba was using both PCM and Indmar at the time and the rotations were all the same for the Outback.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Look on your intake for the firing order. If it is a stock chevy manifold it will be stamped on the intake. Standard chevy engines are left turn. Firing order should be 18436572. My 97 outback is standard rotation, though it is a Mercruiser rather than PCM.
    1997 Outback

What this post needs is....more COWBELL!