Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by SWGA Boater View Post
    Look on your intake for the firing order. If it is a stock chevy manifold it will be stamped on the intake. Standard chevy engines are left turn. Firing order should be 18436572. My 97 outback is standard rotation, though it is a Mercruiser rather than PCM.
    I meant to add... if the firing order you provided is correct, you do not have a standard rotation engine. You have a counter rotation or right turn engine.

If you have not broken the engine down, you can take the valve covers off and rotate the engine to see which order the valves are opening.
    1997 Outback

What this post needs is....more COWBELL!

Thanks for the help. The engine is completely torn down just got it back from the machine shop it does have a timing chain not gears but according to PCM they didn't use timing gears they said it would still be a timing chain even if reverse rotation but the guy I talked to there said according to model number and serial number it should be standard rotation but then I told him about the firing order and he said it could have just been the wrong one on the valve cover but I'm about 99% sure when I did the tune up on the last time I set it up with the reverse rotation timing orderand it ran fine. I'm really believing it's reverse rotation just everyone keeps telling me it should be standard but looking at the raw water pump impeller the fins are cupped like it would be rotating counter clockwise at the front of the motor which also leads me to believe its reverse rotation
    98 Outback
    PCM LT1

Have you looked at the prop yet?
    jy

Yeah I'm pretty sure its LH rotation and while I was putting the engine back together I found another PCM tag on the oil pan that says the firing order is 18436572 which is standard rotation just Dont know why there are two different tags on the motor both with the same model number and serial number just different firing orders
    98 Outback
    PCM LT1

Update the 383 is in and running great can't wait to get it on the water and the motor is standard rotation thanks for all the help
    98 Outback
    PCM LT1