View Poll Results: Would you rent out YOUR boat???

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sure, make some gas money

0 0%
  • Not Likely

3 6.00%
  • Not just NO, but HECK NO!!!

47 94.00%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

No way! There are only a few people in the world I would trust with my boat and none of them are even family members. You can find them right here on this board!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

no on renting mine out--now a couple board members on here could borrow it if needed as they have already drivin it. not even sure I would want to rent someone else's
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

No way I would rent mine out. I wouldn't even let my father take it out by himself, let alone some stranger. Hell my wife will barley drive it.
    2008 Mobius XLV - SOLD

There are probably 3 guys I would let take my boat. All are best friends who own their own boats and I have been boating with for 10+ yrs. All would return it in perfect condition.

My brother on the other hand was dumb enough a few years back to start renting his out locally to make a few extra bucks. One afternoon he gets a call from the person who rented his boat and said a big storm blew in and the waves were crashing over the bow (it was a Ski Centurian with a really low nose if I remember correctly) and the boat was sinking. They called 911, got the coast guard out, but by then the boat had sunk! Thank goodness it was in shallow water and everyone was ok. The coast guard hooked up a tow rope and dragged it back in and up the ramp on its side. Sad day for sure...He learned a lesson for sure though.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Default Mercury Marine Survey - Would you loan out YOUR boat?

I would be hard pressed to let someone take my boat, don't see it happening. my son turns 16 in July and he's already asking to take it, and my truck, out with his friends while I'm at work I've raised a crazy person I guess
    Last edited by jpetty3023; 02-19-2014 at 07:29 PM.
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Default Re: Mercury Marine Survey - Would you loan out YOUR boat?

If I lived somewhere with a year round season I'd be open to it, big deposit and extra insurance and post inspection..

I only have about 5+ months here in Chicago, that doesn't leave many weekends available with weather etc, etc, plus if something goes wrong the boat would be unavailable making the season even shorter..

But if the boat was sitting for long periods you could be really picky and rent it a few times a year which might cover a lot of payments...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Quote Originally Posted by mikenehrkorn View Post
    I think it's safe to say that most of the type 1 personalities on this forum would give a big NOPE to that question.....and personally I would have to think long and hard about even loaning it out to family let alone some total stranger off the street!!!
    Type 1! WTF?!!! I used to be a type 1 but now I have aged gracefully!! That is pure BS about this forum being a bunch of Type 1s!!!

And rent my boat to some vacationing a$$wipe?? F-NO! But like mentioned before, I would rent someone else's if they are stupid enough.
    Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by rc5695 View Post

Anyways, no WAY I'd let some stranger go run my boat aground or jump on the seats with their shoes on or let their kids spill red Fanta all over the light colored carpet.

Would I rent one, maybe...
    That would be a hell to the mother f-ing NO..

Orange Fanta?! Can you imagine the kids eating a bag of Cheetos on your boat?? Haha

My sister and her family live in Malaysia and they rent a Mastercraft occasionally on the weekends, but that comes with a driver. I would consider taking someone else out if they want to rent me and my boat...this way I am there to monitor everyone. I think they pay around $200 USD per hour. ...which is about what I pay an hour to own and operate my own boat ( loan payment, insurance, gas, winter storage, etc.).
    Last edited by brad460; 02-19-2014 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    No way! There are only a few people in the world I would trust with my boat and none of them are even family members. You can find them right here on this board!
    I feel the exact same way.
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

Why not, I mean what's the worst that could happen.

One of my idiot friends loaned my dad his boat back in '06. Some how the alarms on the outboard were disabled and the impeller quit peeing and blah blah, no more compression. I was actually moving into a new house at the time and missed the week long trip which is why he borrowed the boat (notice he didn't borrow mine !!). We got moved in and decided to rally over to the vacation spot for a few days, when I arrived people told me the boat was broken. I was like no biggie we can get it running and they were like NO, it doesn't have any compression.
    Then they said he ran WFO the whole time and blew it up. So to this day we still make fun of my friend and talk about my dad running his boat WFO until it grenaded. $11k later it had a new outboard at my buddies expense, so by the time we all die we should have our $11k out of this story.
    -Jake