Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Trouble starting engine

Ok guys maybe y'all can help me out.

I pulled the boat out today so I could start getting it ready for the warmer weather, wanted to start practicing my launching, loading, and driving the new boat. When I winterized the boat prior to the cold weather it started but had a little trouble getting going.
    Today I pulled it out, checked the fluids, and hooked up the fake a lake. After about and hour of trying to get it started I was getting frustrated. Even starter fluid didn't work. Dumped about an 1/8 cup of gas down the throttle body and she fired right up.
    Ran it for about ten minutes to get the temp up so the fuel pump works fine. I turn it off let it sit for ten minutes and tried to start again to no avail. Put more gas in the TB and started up again.

Can some one tell me what's up.
    It has spark.
    It has fuel pressure.
    Just won't start with out some assistance.

( filled the tank for winterizing with 91octane w/ethanol and marine Stabil)

Might want to start with what boat, what year and what motor.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Sorry 08 LSV 325 assault

Hate to say it but you are going to need the dealer to look it over.

Several things happen when you start the engine.

1 You turn the key on and the fuel pump should prime and pressurize the fuel rail. This can eb checked with a fuel pressure gauge.

2 when you crank the engine the ECM is looking for a signal from the crank position sensor telling it the engine is spinning. It waits for that signal to be over X RPM I think its 400. That tell the ECM the engine fired, and then turns the Fuel pump on and allows it to run. <this is where i think your issue is>

Since you can start it with raw Fuel it says to me the pump and pressure are good when running.

If it was my boat and your handy with tools, I would be looking at replacing the fuel filter and fuel pump.

I think the fuel pump is able to feed the engine enough fuel pressure to run but not enough to charge the rail when its time to start. by you dumping raw fuel into the Engine to start it, you are bypassing the Start conditions.

I had the same problem on my Vette last summer, fuel pump worked, but I had a crank no start. If i squirted fuel in the Intake it would start right up.
    Ended up being my fuel pump worked but it didn't supply enough pressure to make the check point in the ECM to fire the injectors at start.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Thanks for the info.

I know the rail is getting charged because I can hear the pump priming the rail and when I check the Schrader Valve on the rail it releases pressurized fuel.
    I'm planing on replacing the fuel filter but figured since it runs that wouldn't have been the problem in the starting.

I'm more familiar with carbed engines so I pulled one of the plugs after trying awhile and the plug was clean and dry.

It started right up when we took it out for a test drive prior to buying it so I don't see how much could have changed in it just sitting for a couple months.

I hear ya man, like i said my Vette did the same thing, it had pressure at the rail but 10PSI will squirt but not fire the engine. Then once its running that 10 will work at idle but since your not on the water you cant test unload conditions.

I think a fuel pump and filter is less then a hundo, plus they are outside the tank so its easy to get to. Still even if its not the issue, not a bad part replacement for peace of mind later.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Most of the time it is the gas people leave in their boat.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Yeah I think your right just hate to admit I'm wrong. How hard is it to get to the fuel pump. I'm assuming it's under the part of the floor that's screwed down.

One more thing. Are you supposed to pump the throttle back n forth before putting it in neutral and starting or is that just for carbed engines

I would change the fuel filter and try starting again