Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

No luck for me. I pulled out the MAP sensor while leaving it plugged up. No fire. Then I tried unplugging all together. No luck there either. I tried spraying gas into the throttle body. I still couldn't get fire. I also removed the coil wire going to the electronic distributer. I had a couple of guys helping and we never could see a spark. I tried arching the coil wire to ground while cranking but no spark. I tried using a volt meter measuring DC voltage at the coil wire while starting. I saw 12V with KEY on then it dropped to 11.4 while cranking. I'm not sure if the coil is bad or the computer is not allowing fire due to a bad sensor some where. Does any one know what the red push button is on the side of the mounting plate that has all the EMISSIONS control garbage on it? I see and feel a red push button down there. I'll look to see if it is in the owners manual. I need to find a better way to trouble shoot the coil I guess. Its almost as if the kill switch is activated but its not.

Quote Originally Posted by LSM View Post
    No luck for me. I pulled out the MAP sensor while leaving it plugged up. No fire. Then I tried unplugging all together. No luck there either. I tried spraying gas into the throttle body. I still couldn't get fire. I also removed the coil wire going to the electronic distributer. I had a couple of guys helping and we never could see a spark. I tried arching the coil wire to ground while cranking but no spark. I tried using a volt meter measuring DC voltage at the coil wire while starting. I saw 12V with KEY on then it dropped to 11.4 while cranking. I'm not sure if the coil is bad or the computer is not allowing fire due to a bad sensor some where. Does any one know what the red push button is on the side of the mounting plate that has all the EMISSIONS control garbage on it? I see and feel a red push button down there. I'll look to see if it is in the owners manual. I need to find a better way to trouble shoot the coil I guess. Its almost as if the kill switch is activated but its not.
    I don't remember where I read it(somewhere on this forum) that the red button is a reset for the engine. Kind of like a separate breaker for just the engine electronics as opposed to the breaker for the whole boat. Could be wrong but pretty sure if it's out then something's wrong as it should be pushed in.
    2008 LSV on the way out
    '17 CRAZ!!! on the way in

My red button is out about 1/4"... It will press in about a 1/16" of an inch... Thats it.

Default Trouble starting engine

LSM my red button is the same way! But mine will eventually start you just have to try it until it finally hits. We have checked and if I keep trying to start with the coil wire off and a buddy checking for fire it will fire intermittently so that would explain why it starts sometimes. Mine would also run rough like it was missing sometimes too but I think it was because of weak fire at the distributor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I even went to a junk yard and pulled the coil from a 99 silverado that was running. That didn't work either! FYI 99 silverado had the same mounting plate with ignition module just like ours! Just in case you or a buddy has one I'm thinking like 99-04 maybe later is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by LSM View Post
    My red button is out about 1/4"... It will press in about a 1/16" of an inch... Thats it.
    That little red button left me stranded on the lake one day. Shorted out my electrical system with an air inflation pump plugged into my 12V outlet, but the pump had a crossed wire. Had no idea that there was a breaker in the engine compartment, so after I got towed in I was messing around in there and saw that and pushed it, boat started after that. With that tripped, it wont engage the starter motor at all, was like the whole ignition system was dead.
    06 Mobius LSV, GIII (now with 1100 in the port locker), perfect pass, wakeplate
    Kicker KM10 Sub, dual batteries

Ok just left the dealer... Hooked up to the computer I was getting map sensor fault but the technician said he has seen a bunch of ignition switches go bad in these. So we looked at voltage on his computer and sure enough it had 12volts until you started to turn the engine over and it fell to 0. Sure enough we plugged a new switch in and it starts right up. The switch was like $30 or so.

Is it the actual switch where the key goes in?
    2008 LSV on the way out

Yes it is..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys are awesome. After messing with starting this boat for over 6 months the simple fix... The Switch.

I jumped the wires through the Deutsch plug plugged in to the back of the ignition switch and she fired right up every time.
    Off to the lake we go will just have to wait until we get back to order the new switch. Wondering if I should get the factory switch through the dealer or scrap the Deutsch plug and get a generic switch from the parts store.
    2008 LSV on the way out