Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I grew up 15 minutes from 2 ski resorts, and skiing/snowboarding was an almost every day event from November-April. Most of us grew up skiing, and switched over to boarding when it got popular. I think each has it's place, a nice powder day, nothing beats a board. All mountain, definitely skis. Park/Pipe, it's a toss up. Since moving to SC, my biggest problem with either is how much they want for lift tickets down here. I can get an all day lift ticket in Vermont for what they are asking at our little shit-show 2 hill local ski area. I just can't justify dropping $200 for my wife and I to go skiing/boarding for a day on 2 tiny hills with crappy machine snow.

I think a lot of it has to do with pain and ease of learning. Skiing is no doubt easier to be good at and much less painful than boarding is. And now that you can do and go anywhere boards can go (free skiing), a lot of people opt for the skis. Same with wakeboarding vs surfing. I really enjoy wakeboarding, but it takes a long time and a lot of damn hard crashes to get to a decent level. However, one summer of surfing and you can pretty much out ride the wave/boat and look like a pro.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty75 View Post
    However, one summer of surfing and you can pretty much out ride the wave/boat and look like a pro.
    Really? After one summer you're able to ride like this?

http://youtu.be/fCLRz3fQfIc

BTW - young Chris here actually placed THIRD at World's in 2013.

Man I wish I had a wave like that to find out. Looks pretty damn nice.

The pro comment was definitely intended with some sarcasm. My point was simply that skiing seems to be relatively easier to learn than snowboarding, as wake surfing seems relatively easier to pickup than wake boarding. All are still challenging, and a blast to learn. I just think more people are inclined to pickup a sport that is less painful and has a quicker learning curve.

I just think more people are inclined to pickup a sport that is less painful and has a quicker learning curve.
    I agree & more parents are inclined to push their children to a sport that doesn't result in major injuries. Couple this with David's remarks and you can start to see what may be on the horizon.

I have to disagree with the comment about skiing being easier to learn than snowboarding. I have to admit with the newer snow skis it is easier to master , but years ago it took years to get good at skiing where as on a snowboard and even a wakeboard to get reasonably good coud be easily done in a couple seasons.
    07 Outback DD

You guys who haven't yet tried a free ski like the Radar Satori you should give it a try. It's as easy to get up on as a wake board and its big enough you can ski at slow speeds. My wife and 67 year old dad both ski the slalom course at 22 mph. It's a lot of fun and could be a game changer.
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

Default The decline of a board sport - maybe a lesson to be learned?

Mgswake and smitty75, where at in SC are you located?
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Cigars n scotch View Post
    Mgswake and smitty75, where at in SC are you located?
    I'm in the Greenville area. How about yourself?

Default The decline of a board sport - maybe a lesson to be learned?

I'm in the Greenville area. How about yourself?
    Fort Mill right outside CLT and Lake Wylie.
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale

Default Re: The decline of a board sport - maybe a lesson to be learned?

Quote Originally Posted by skiyaker View Post
    You guys who haven't yet tried a free ski like the Radar Satori you should give it a try. It's as easy to get up on as a wake board and its big enough you can ski at slow speeds. My wife and 67 year old dad both ski the slalom course at 22 mph. It's a lot of fun and could be a game changer.
    I gotta say if I could ski at 25 mph or under I would def rip off a few sets every now and then... thats awesome

Sent from my apple crushin android device
    2014 Mondo with da flow!!! Exile towers, stock everything else.... for now!