Default Exhaust question?? Is this part a muffler????

moomba exhaust.jpg

Is the section outlined in the picture the muffler? And can it be removed and flow straight out the rear of the boat with out any problems? like heat? The motor on this 2008 mobius xlv is to quiet!!!
    I had a 2000 Malibu sportster with no mufflers and it had the sweetest sound. But was not loud.
    Thanks
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV

Yes that is your muffler, But there my be some problems with removing it. You have to consider things like water inversion, back pressure and check valves. You may want to consult Indmar.
    04 LSV

Yes, that's the muffler. I can't think of any significant reason why it couldn't be removed. Certainly not heat; I don't know when mufflers came into standard use on ski boats but it is only recently. If anything, having a muffler might add a little heat to the engine compartment given more heat exchange area. But because the exhaust is wet things are already nice and cool. There might be some impact if the fuel control is tuned to include the muffler and would thus be slightly out of tune but that seems minor.

My old boat has the same 350 engine as the new one but the new has the exhaust. To be honest, they sound very similar. The new one is quieter at speed but the tone/rumble is the same. I really don't notice any difference at idle. It is obnoxious and difficult to carry on conversations in the old boat at towing speed. I've never had anyone say that they like the sound. Everyone likes the sound of both boats at idle. I wouldn't even think of removing the muffler. I think the overall experience would suffer without any real gain.
    Last edited by gregski; 02-16-2014 at 12:21 PM.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

Ok thanks for the help!!!!
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV

Have the same type of muffler on my 2004 LSV and it is leaking fro the drain plug at the bottom of the muffler. It is a small hex head bolt, and appears to go into fiberglass. Can I just up size this bolt to make a tighter fit, or is it backed up with some type of metal inside and need to tap it? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smitruck View Post
    Have the same type of muffler on my 2004 LSV and it is leaking fro the drain plug at the bottom of the muffler. It is a small hex head bolt, and appears to go into fiberglass. Can I just up size this bolt to make a tighter fit, or is it backed up with some type of metal inside and need to tap it? Thanks
    Yes you can upsize the bolt no issues.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Thanks for the info.