Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brackish Water

Default Brackish Water

I bought a boat that had been used in brackish. After a year of tlc it finally looks good again. The comments above about the trailer are spot on. I bought a new trailer for the boat and when I hauled the old one to the scrap yard the main runners of the frame snapped in two pieces. The boat was the only thing holding the trailer together. IMO it's not worth it.
    2007 Supra 20SSV - 325HP - SOLD (What's Next?)

Wetsounds Rev 10's
    XS-650's
    Syn 6
    Syn 4
    WS-420

I use mine in mixed conditions and paid extra for a galvanized trailer and flush kit. If you wash/ wax/ flush, the boat will be fine. However, the painted steel trailer will be ruined if it is used in salt/ brackish water. Only the outside of the trailer is painted, the inside is bare metal.
    -Blaine

2019 Makai
    2013 LSV (sold)
    1997 Bayliner 1850 (sold)

You always have the option to winterize it, get it shrunk wraped and store it long term indoors.
    <thats what I would do>[/QUOTE]

This is what I would do also.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

NO SALT WATER AT ALL!!! Trust me. Even the snaps for the top corrode. Washed it every time. Risers, manifolds and even a head. All rusted. Flushed every time. Nuf said.
    Jack Beams
    '05 Outback DD
    325HP EFI Indmar

Default Brackish Water

Doesn't matter how well you clean and maintain, brackish and salt water will wear on the boat and trailer much faster than fresh. You can't ensure ALL of the salt is gone.

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

I have lived in Pensacola,FL and used boats here in fresh water and brackish water. Here, the fresh water rivers drain into the bay. Where I launch is about 5 miles up from the mouth of the river. When skiing, you can't detect any hint of salt water, but it's there.
    My 99 MC boat was used on the river about 7 times in 2 yrs. The 5 yr old boat and trailer that came from KS, was a destroyed trailer. I rinsed the boat, engine and trailer after every use. The salt destroys the trailer from the inside. The outside still looked like new, but you could but a screwdriver through it in several places.

Exhaust manifolds and risers will need to be inspected after the first season of used and every year after. Plan to replace at 5 yr. (Fresh water boats can go 20 yrs).

When most buyers hear about salt/brackish, it's a deal breaker.

Overall, it will be easier and cheaper to winterize and store.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Thanks for the advice guys. I know I could just winterize it and let it sit in storage for a year but I would rather not do that. I do have some family members that I trust that go out with me and have drove the boat multiple times. So I'm probably just going to see if they want to use it or if they rather me just leave it in storage. I know you guys probably think I'm crazy for loaning my boat out but the family I loan it to has a 30K camper and I borrow it when I want and they borrow the boat. So it was a win win for everyone. Thanks again for the advice.
    2006 Mobius LSV