Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What amp do I have?

Just bought a 2013 outback v with a kicker amp and a couple roswell 6.5 tower speakers was thinking of swapping the roswells for a pair of xm9's just wondering if the kicker amp would cut it or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkh
    2013 outbackv

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    Just bought a 2013 outback v with a kicker amp and a couple roswell 6.5 tower speakers was thinking of swapping the roswells for a pair of xm9's just wondering if the kicker amp would cut it or not

My choice to run a single pair of 8-inch HLCDs, whether the Exile XM9 or Wetsounds Rev8, would be the JL Audio fullrange Class D XD400/4.
    Why? Because they are the most advanced and cleanest Class D amplifiers. When tested in the bridged mode the XD400/4 will deliver 280 watts X 2 with a 14.4 volt supply and maintain 200 watts X 2 even with a more realistic 12.6 volt supply. This under-rating is typical for JL Audio. One reason is that they give you a specific voltage in order to tune your amplifier during installation. And that output voltage is predicated on the 'real' supply voltage your amplifier is likely to see when at rest during the tuning process. Another reason is that instead of using the easy CEA standard of rating power at 1kHz, JL Audio goes beyond and demands that their amplifier meets the power spec at 20 Hz.
    Class D is important because it is over 80% efficient, 60% more efficient than a conventional Class AB. All Class D amplifiers are analog switching (not really digital) and the switching frequency has to be filtered out. In the case of the fullrange Class D XD400/4, the switching frequency is over 400kHz, which is more than 20 times higher than the highest audible frequency. In many cases this is four times faster than competing Class D amplifiers. So with the JL Audio there is no artifacts (whether distortion or phasing issues) from the switching frequency. Again, the JL Audio is just much cleaner.
    Also, you get a very sophisticated roll-back protection circuit that insures the amplifier won't shut down on a hot July afternoon.
    JL Audio has been making Class D amplifiers since the '90s (over 15 years) and are one of the few audio companies with a domestic electrical engineering staff.
    For the price of this amplifier, well under $400 from an authorized dealer, and even less in a speaker/amplifier package, it's tough to beat based on quality. And it's the perfect power for an 8-inch HLCD.

I was just wondering if the amp I have will run them or if it will be underpowered the boats in storage right now so I can't check what size it is it's a kicker thanks

2013 outbackv

It most likely will not, with either oem amp they installed.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

K thanks

2013 outbackv

It's a kicker 300.2 amp, won't give the 9's what they deserve. My sxt9's just arrived with a 800.4 amp. Talk to Brian from exile, he'll get you set up with the right gear!

That 300.2 will power a basic 12" sub... Something I may do with mine if I don't go all exile with the system.
    2022 Moomba Mojo
    2013 Moomba Mojo 2.5 (sold)

Tow - 2019 Ford F150 Ecoboost

Thanks man so if I'm understanding that right it's a 300 w 2 channel amp right

2013 outbackv

Yep

•RMS Power Rating (14.4V): ◦4 ohms: 75 watts x 2 chan.
    ◦2 ohms: 150 watts x 2 chan.
    ◦Bridged, 4 ohms: 300 watts x 1 chan.
    2022 Moomba Mojo
    2013 Moomba Mojo 2.5 (sold)

Tow - 2019 Ford F150 Ecoboost

Bird -I'd agree with the others that the stock amplifier won't be a good choice for your XM9 upgrade. I usually suggest guys go with the Exile XM30.2 amplifier which is the amplifier we bundle XM9's with. 4 channel amplifiers don't ever let you upgrade into a 4 speaker setup should you ever want to down the line. That means you buy another amplifier which isn't fun.

Three Primary reasons:
    1) The XM30.2 has great power to run up to 4 XM9's properly. (300Wx2 at 4ohm or 420x2 at 2ohm)
    2) The XM30.2 was designed specifically for tower use and the crossovers are preset for XM9's right out of the box.
    3) The XM30.2 has marine coated circuit boards, stainless hardware etc... And comes with a 2 year warranty.

If dollars are driving the primary decision, buy it as part of the package from whatever retailer your working with and you'll a couple hundred bucks on the whole purchase XM9's included.

-Brian

ps: if you want all the CEA ratings and a book of spec's, hit me up in pm and I'll be happy to share more in-depth information.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianinpdx View Post
    ps: if you want all the CEA ratings and a book of spec's, hit me up in pm and I'll be happy to share more in-depth information.
    I see what you did right there gave me a morning laugh. thanks Brian.....
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten