Thread: Battery wiring

Default Battery wiring

I'm looking at installing the blue sea add a battery, acr, and on board charger. I've tried searching the forums and my question pertains to the wire lug size. Is there a standard size to use that is one size fits all or do I need a specific size for each wire end depending on what it is connecting to?

Also, are 150amp breakers the standard to use between the batteries and the switch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your breakers are determined by your load and they are to protect your equipment including wiring. A 150 amp breaker will require size 1 copper wiring so you will need some large lugs probably with the set screws.

http://cerrowire.com/ampacity-charts
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

do I need a specific size for each wire end depending on what it is connecting to?
    Yes. An over sized on a small stud is not as good a connection inductively. If the ACR is mounted close to the switch, those breakers are not needed, just fuse the ACR's ground wire.

Default Battery wiring

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    Yes. An over sized on a small stud is not as good a connection inductively. If the ACR is mounted close to the switch, those breakers are not needed, just fuse the ACR's ground wire.
    MLA, I plan on putting the ACR as close to the switch as possible. Just far apart enough to run the wire from the ACR to the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by TKE459 View Post
    MLA, I plan on putting the ACR as close to the switch as possible. Just far apart enough to run the wire from the ACR to the switch.

Then I see no need for those breakers as theres almost no chance of a short to ground in that short of a run. Also, if you fallow the schematic, you will likely have batt+ on both sides of the breakers almost all the time. At this point, the breaker does little to nothing.