Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new boat

Default new boat

I just ordered my first boat, an Outback V with:
    performance package (325HP MPI, wake plate, perfect pass)
    wakeboard package (tower, gravity I)
    2 rear bags - ballast
    depth finder
    spare tire
    stereo (free boat show option)
    transom remote
    cover (free boat show option)
    bimini top (free boat show option)
    appearance package (cleats, rub rail, dock lights, pole covers)(free boat show option)
    water strainer

I paid $34,185 before sales tax. Retail came out to $36,600 if you don't include the free options. Is this a fair price?

I ordered black/platinum. Anyone else have this? Does it look good?

Default Replying to Topic 'new boat'

Sounds sweet! Now plumb in the rear ballast youself (will be cheaper) There are threads on here that have parts lists and everything, do a search. Also keep us posted on when you get it. And pictures!

Well i quickly read through your post and i now feel like and idiot, you have the rear bags i saw gravity I. So yeah SICK BOAT!!!

hey maleyb,

Congrats on the new boat. You got a really good deal it seems like. I used the configurator on this site to see the price of your boat with all the options you listed, and I came up with something like 36,000 even AFTER the pick 4 boat show incentives. So to get that boat at 34, 185 is a heck of a deal. You need to let me know how you did it. The boat I am looking at is basically the same. On the configurator, my price with the boat show incentives was 34,495. The only difference is i am going with the 310 hp motor, only 1 bag ballast (for now), no spare tire (I can get a white rim and tire somewhere else), and no water strainer. So to me, you're getting the more expensive boat, but for a lower price....so congratulations again! Any advice for me when I haggle with my salesman this weekend would be appreciated.

Keep in mind that the configurator is basically MSRP. DO NOT PAY THAT PRICE.
    Last year at the boat show, I bought a 2005 Mobius LSV loaded for about that same price. I go two tone paint
    perfect pass
    snap in carpet
    snap covers
    wakeboard racks
    325 MFI engine
    water strainer
    gravity 3 bags
    cd w/ 6 speakers
    3 yr warranty
    depth finder
    hydraulic wake plate
    pop up cleats
    and a couple of other items.
    The 2006 Outback V is the same boat as the 2005 Mobius LSV.

My boat configurated at over $40,000. I say that to say,, yes you got a great deal.. I know I did. Remember when you do buy at the show and get the show incentives, those come the manufacturer. Don't forget that the dealer then needs to do his part. He threw in the upgraded engine, water strainer and pol covers as part of my negotiations.

You will LOVE that boat.. However I am glad I bought in 2005 because I like the MOBIUS graphics better.

Have fun and enjoy.

Clark
    Clark

2017 Moomba Craz
    Raptor 400
    Pacific Blue / Graphite

1st - 1983 old brown boat - not sure the make
    2nd - 2001 Bayliner 185 4 cyl. Sold
    3rd - 2005 Moomba Möbius LSV. Sold

Originally posted by WittAny advice for me when I haggle with my salesman this weekend would be appreciated.

Witt,

If and when you go to "talk" to your dealer/salesman, when you guys sit down to talk numbers just tell the guy you need a deal you just CAN'T WALK AWAY FROM. If they won't budge from a price just tell them thank you for their time and walk out. I haggled with my dealer a little but I didnt have too much of a hard time. Maybe that's because I bought mine in early to mid Feb of 2005.

You might also want to check out other Moomba dealers in your area (even if that means driving a few hours).

Jeff

Thanks for the advice guys...

I am going to the boat show in Shreveport, LA this weekend and hope to sit down with my dealer and hopefully come out of there with a new Outback V. My biggest problem with the negotiations is to know what kind of money they will take off of MSRP. When I buy cars, I know Chevy will take more off MSRP than like Nissan will. Its just the markup. Here's the boat I will purchase, if the price is right:

Outback V:
    Brittany Blue
    325 HP MPI engine
    Rad-A-Cage Bimini Top
    Moomba Logo Cover
    Appearance Package
    Wakeboarding Package
    Tower Surcharge
    Depth Finder
    Wakeboard racks
    Hydraulic Wakeplate
    Transom Audio Remote
    AM/FM CD Stereo
    Tandem Trailer Upgrade

MSRP before boat show incentives: 39,330

MSRP after boat show incentives: 36,540

So my question...what woule be a good price to shoot for? Out the door for 35,000 (thats including taxes, freight, dealer prep and title and license) seems like a good deal and what I will shoot for...am I being unrealistic?

Thanks for the help guys. First time boat purchase...I am sick of having to share my Dad's boat with my brother...lol. I don't want to screw this up.

Free options are not really free. You and Clark are at about the same price spread. Start asking about priority service for the 20 hour oil change, storage until you need the boat etc. things that you value and the dealer can control.

SD2
    Naked red and white 2005 Moomba LSV
    Teaching my kids to Ride, Shoot Strait and Tell the Truth

Good point Smokedog,
    Nothing worse than the feeling you get when you have to come back to your dealer 2 weeks after you drop that kind of cash only to have them charge you another 300.00 for your 20 hr inspection... That floored me when that happened to me.

One of those if I knew then what I know now kinda things..
    2005 Moomba Outback

As I am to understand it, your dealer is actually paying part of those incentives - so they are not "free". Part of that is being deducted from his/her allowable markup. I think the average is about 5% additional wiggle room for negotiations, but this will differ from dealer to dealer, and from month to month as the demand changes. Also, as previously stated, getting "stuff" is easier than getting $.

Hope this helps,

Joe

Great advice thanks!

another question...how much can I expect to pay in taxes, title fees, registration, freight, and dealer prep? I know it varies from state to state and from dealer to dealer, but anybody have a ball park figure for me to add in to my calculations? Or if anyone has bought a boat in Texas or Louisiana, maybe you have some numbers I can crunch

Thanks
    Witt