Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: XM9 or SXT9

Default XM9 or SXT9

Trying to pull the trigger on some new tower speakers, and can't decide between the Exile XM9 and SXT9. I wakeboard probably 50% of the time, and surf/relax probably 50%. I'm only looking to add 2 tower speakers.

I was all set to go for the XM9, but then started seeing posts about the harshness in/near the boat. I'm really the only person that wakboards out of my boat, everyone else just comes to hang out and/or surf a few runs. But I would enjoy hearing tunes at wake length, even if it's not cranking sound.

Any thoughts? Don't know if the SXT9 will send enough sound for wakeboarding, or if I should just go for the XM9 and use the mode switch if necessary to tune down the highs.

I don't know from experience but I have a similar situation to you. Brian from Exile recommended the SXT9's for me. I'm hoping to get them myself in the next few months.

I think you'll be able to hear them at wakeboard length... maybe not ultra loud or clear but certainly better than most tower speakers.
    2022 Moomba Mojo
    2013 Moomba Mojo 2.5 (sold)

Tow - 2019 Ford F150 Ecoboost

Default XM9 or SXT9

I went XM9 and use a PAC LC1 to control the power to the XM9s. Turn it to 20% for chillin, 50% for surfin, and 100% for wakeboard length.

Will go to a ZLD or the newest unit sometime in the near future but the PAC LC1 is an inexpensive interim solution.
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

I don't have Exiles, but went with four of the WS non-HLCD Icon8s as our music listening is mostly while cruising around or in the cove and not while boarding - People need to hear me cry like a baby when I hit!

So it depends on how and when you listen to your music. But also remember, there is no such thing as too many RGBs!
    Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Eric.

have a xm9's myself--we surf 99% of the time, no issues for us with them
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Default XM9 or SXT9

Both! That's what I did!

I've run a pair of XM9s for the last few seasons and they are great, just need a dedicated volume control. I am adding a pair of SXT9s and another amp to give me a little more bottom end and versatility. I'll control volume between the 2 pairs with a Kicker dual zone controller, and overall tower volume with the ZLD.
    2013 Outback V

Uh, don't kid yourself. After being in many boats with many brands/types of speakers up top, anything cranked up to blast back 80ft for you to hear is going to be a bit punishing for those in the boat. You can use a zone controller or separate volume as mentioned to turn down the cabin, but a set of towers pounding tunes at 20ish mph is going to be LOUD in the boat no matter what.

Coming from a guy with mod-severe hearing loss on one side....
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Default XM9 or SXT9

Go big! Easy to turn down but if your at 80' for half your riding go big.
    -Jake

Default XM9 or SXT9

Been thinking the same thing for when I pull the trigger in March, but I think I'm leaning towards a Hybrid system. Anybody done 4 speakers on the OZ (don't recall seeing pictures)?
    Matt
    2021 Mojo
    2016 Mojo (sold)
    2012 LSV (sold)

Default XM9 or SXT9

Well I talked to the guys over at exile again, and decided on the SXT's. They seemed to have a lot of good things to say about them, and ended up a few hundred bucks cheaper. Guess I can use that for a new light bar after I take off the roswell rack.

I gotta say that the guys over at exile seem like a good group. I've been looking at a stereo upgrade for a while now, And after going between them and some other brands, I feel pretty confident I made the right choice. Customer service seems to be top notch.