My Moomba Lives in Eagle River, WI - We Live in Chicago

Default Dead Batteries and Error Codes on a '14 LSV

Looking for help after a frustrating day (not) on the water....

I got an engine check warning while my oldest son was skiing today, and we ended up getting stranded in the middle of our lake when we couldn't restart the engine. Here is the error code I got:
    image.jpgimage.jpg

Of course it was 3pm and the local dealer closes at 2pm on Saturdays.... I eventually found a Moomba dealer whose service guy was still around, and he told me this was an error indicating an insufficient charge. So I used the on-board charger (I have a dual-battery set up) for over 4 hours, and no dice!

Can anybody help on this? Do I have an alternator problem that doesn't properly charge the batteries, or maybe do I have bad batteries? We only have 18 hours on this new LSV so I'm more than a little frustrated. I'll be calling my dealer at 8am on Monday morning, but Can you guys share any thoughts or suggestions?

Could it be over voltage from the transducer? Did it trip a breaker?

There was a recall on certain 2014's.. Too bad your dealer didnt contact you
    Suppose to be a simple fix though.

Quote Originally Posted by Whale View Post
    There was a recall on certain 2014's.. Too bad your dealer didnt contact you
    Suppose to be a simple fix though.
    Thanks Whale - that would actually be good news as it means they won't have to keep the boat for too long trying to trial-and-error troubleshoot what the problem is! We head back home today and come back up on Thursday for 10 days, so hoepfully this can get done quickly!

Look under the Mondo link someone posted the VIN # for recall. If it is the transducer you can disconnect the plug by the trans and reset the breaker under the dash. Then the boat should run.

That was me. I copied and pasted the text of the service bulletin so you can see if you HIN falls into the recall. Hope it helps.

2014 Moomba Speedometer Paddlewheel
    Boats effected:
    2014 model year Moomba boats manufactured between October 2013 and March 2014. Serial numbers
    ending in; J314, K314, L314, A414, B414, C414.
    Issue:
    The paddlewheel circuit board may be damaged by a voltage spike the ECM can produce and may trip
    the engine ignition circuit breaker within the first few hours of operation.
    Symptoms:
    When the paddlewheel fails it can produce one or more of the following symptoms;
    o No speed reading on the dash
    o Engine breaker under the dash trips
    o Engine shuts down
    o Electrical smell in engine well
    In order to get the engine running to return the boat, unplug the speedometer pigtail from the harness
    located under the transmission cover (Image A) and reset the breaker under the dash. This will allow
    the engine to safely restart.
    Solution:
    Replace the paddlewheel with a newer unit that now has an overvoltage protection chip on the
    paddlewheel circuit board within the unit. Skier’s Choice Part number 104634 looks the same as the
    original paddlewheel. The overvoltage protected paddlewheel has a manufacture date of 3/14 or
    greater on the label affixed to the wiring pigtail (Image B).
    1991 Cobia Monte Carlo 188E (Sold)
    2014 Moomba Mojo (Sold)
    Next ??

Default Dead Batteries and Error Codes on a '14 LSV

Are you running the boat with the Perko switch set on 1, 2 or 1+2?

STATUS UPDATE:

So the Dealer's Service Team came out this morning (on our dock by 10am!) to trouble-shoot this, and it's "relatively" good news. It turns out that the alternator belt failed, so they replaced the belt and the alternator (just to be sure). But after firing it up, they then realized that the alternator is actually misaligned by almost 1/4 of an inch, which almost instantly caused the new belt to fray and eventually jump off the pulley. So this was the cause of the batteries not recharging while driving. To be honest, I really should have seen that myself, but I was so focused on the battery set up and potential breaker resets that I never got around to checking the belt....

So the good news is that it's easily solved , but the bad news is that they had to trailer the boat back to the Dealer to solve this permanently. But they promised to get it back to me by Thursday morning as we have our whole family up with us for 10 days from Thursday onward (and we are going to be doing a LOT of skiing and surfing)! Fingers crossed that they knock this out by tomorrow and get our LSV back to us in time!

glad it was (relatively) easily resolved.

I'm surprised there wasn't an issue with the engine cooling since the recirc pump is connected via the belt.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD