Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default looking to pick up a '14 Mojo - few Q's

Hey all ... new to the site. Just about to pull the trigger on a sick new '14 Mojo!!!!! Originally was set on the R20 f/ Tige but just didn't think it would be big enough. The Mojo is only 1.5k more so how can I resist right???

Curious about add ons. They quoted me the 330 engine and it was $2400 more to upgrade to the 345. I've read a few posts on here saying go for the 345 but I'm already outside of my budget. Is this something that I am going to regret?? Have never owned a wakeboat before (coming from a Four Winns 180 so this will be a HUGE UPGRADE) and we spend about 100 hours on the water per season max (In Canada - season is alot shorter). Weekend warriors I guess you would call us.

If I do make the jump to the 345 is the 1235 prop a given? If I stay with the 330 do you recommend getting the 1235 anyways?

Does the Mojo not have ANY bow speakers at all? I see the upgrade but find it hard to believe there is nothing at all up front.

Last, the wifey says no way to the sunpad walkthrough. Says it will get in the way of loungin/tanning. What do you all think of that? Looks to me like it would be a good investment ... but not at the expense of comfort.

LMK! Thanks!

Welcome, I'm sure you are pumped. Sounds like a big upgrade!!

I'm in the camp that would push for the 345, especially if you plan on doing much surfing.

If you were considering a R20 and the Mojo is pushing your budget, have you considered the new Mondo or an LSV? I think both will feel quite a bit larger than the R20. The savings could then be used on some of the upgraded items you were looking at.

I believe the Mojo can be ordered without the front speakers. There should be a thread or two on the site where owners have added the speakers after the fact. I think the fiberglass hole is cut regardless of the way it is optioned?

Typical recommendation is any of the 14x14 variant size props (1235, 1433, 1617, OJ's) over the 13x17 variant. It's the "upgraded" prop and will give the boat a much better hole shot.

Tige R20 interior ....

Moomba LSV interior ...

2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Thanks for the pix/info KG. I definitely did look closely at the Mondo. Priced out it comes in 4k less than the Mojo w/ the 330 motor on both. All other upgrades etc are the same. Does that sound about right?

I was just worried that it might be a little bit small ... even though it feels huge when you get in it. Not sure why? Probably because its so wide?

I checked out the LSV and it's sick ... but am hooked on the style of the pickle fork. The LSV would be the perfect size for us ... it will be trailered to the lake by a Pathfinder and its max load is 5000lbs. Pretty sure the Mojo comes in at 4500 dry so with gas/gear/beers it will be well over.

Congrats on the upgrade! You will love the Mojo. Traded my OB for the Mojo this time last year.

Def. go with the 345 especially if you plan to surf. You won't regret it.

No bow speakers in the basic audio package. You can order with the upgrade that includes an amp and bow speakers but my recomendation would be to save your money and purchase with the most basic stereo package offered. You will quickly find that you want to upgrade the entire system and there are alot of options out there.

"Happy wife, happy life" right? However I wish the option had been offered in '13.
    '06 Outback - Gone but not forgotten
    '13 Mojo

Default looking to pick up a '14 Mojo - few Q's

I bought a 2013 mojo with the 345 in it and we went that route cause we actually got it cheaper than the R20 and like you mentioned we just couldn't turn down the difference in the interior space. Ours doesn't have the bow speakers and doesn't come with any up front at all as they are an optional upgrade and we use that area as the playpen for the kids and they don't really care about the music. Also if it is an option on the 2014 to get a retractable ski plyon put that in as a must have as the fixed is a shin and ankle biter. You also might as well get the flow surf system factory installed cause you are gonna want that down the road.

Welcome and enjoy.
    Rusty

2013 Mojo

I would be more concerned about the comments on towing with a pathfinder. that's a lot of boat for a small suv. tow ratings are not only that the rig can get going but more importantly can it control the load while moving and stop it if needed. make sure the trailer you order has dual disc brakes from a safety standpoint... but to each his own.

I would not hesitate to check the box for the surf engine if not for use today but for resale/trade down the road. the 330 is a good motor, but i'd opt for the 345 all day long.
    there are a lot of boats out there including my old supra that don't have the walkthru. as long as you take care of the boat, it's not a big deal. keep the vinyl conditioned and if you are stopped with a lot of traffic in-out of the boat, put down a towel over the top and it's all good

I'm a tad biased toward tige, but give me a mojo/mondo all day long over the r20.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Moomba gives the ability to purchase a stripped down boat to offer the customers value. If you feel you might want some of the "upgrades", I'd give strong consideration to the Mondo with some options over a stripped down Mojo. Both are going to feel significantly larger than the R20. You are right, the size feel difference is mostly in the width/beam. The Mondo has a 99" beam while the R20 as a 94" beam. 94" is small!

Rusty made some good points on the other options. The retractable ski pylon and flow would both be automatic options if I was ordering.

4k difference sounds somewhat reasonable. I would guesstimate it to be within 4k and 7k depending on the dealer.

Check out the leg room difference ....

2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    I would be more concerned about the comments on towing with a pathfinder. that's a lot of boat for a small suv.
    I would concur with that thought......if I was you I would find a dealer that would let you take the boat for a "test drive" using your Pathfinder. Its not quite an apples-to-apples comparison, but I had a Chev Traverse (also with a 5K tow rating) that I tried to use to tow my OBV (which is quite a bit lighter than the Mojo) and it struggled MIGHTILY!!

My situation was much like yours -- I came from towing a SeaRay 182 (probably similar in weight to your Four Winns @ about 2500lbs) and it felt like nothing behind the Traverse. Once I got the OBV that 1000lbs made a HUGE difference and with the Mojo you are probably looking at another 1000lbs on top of that.

I don't want to scare you off, just a word to the wise so you don't get stuck being forced to upgrade your tow vehicle too!!
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

Quote Originally Posted by mikenehrkorn View Post
    I would concur with that thought......if I was you I would find a dealer that would let you take the boat for a "test drive" using your Pathfinder. Its not quite an apples-to-apples comparison, but I had a Chev Traverse (also with a 5K tow rating) that I tried to use to tow my OBV (which is quite a bit lighter than the Mojo) and it struggled MIGHTILY!!

My situation was much like yours -- I came from towing a SeaRay 182 (probably similar in weight to your Four Winns @ about 2500lbs) and it felt like nothing behind the Traverse. Once I got the OBV that 1000lbs made a HUGE difference and with the Mojo you are probably looking at another 1000lbs on top of that.

I don't want to scare you off, just a word to the wise so you don't get stuck being forced to upgrade your tow vehicle too!!
    Sounds like you made the jump from a 18' runabout like blackcup is doing, but went to the OBV, which is smaller than the Mondo. Blackcup might want to look at the Mondo, since the Mojo will push the Pathfinder around, I know I trailered our 06 LSV with the Traverse 2 or three times for less than 20 miles and it was not fun and the brakes did not like it. The Mondo pricing I seen was about $5K +/- less than the Mojo with the same engine.

Congratz on buying a new boat, the 14 Mojo is an awesome boat. I have a 13 Mojo and upgraded from the LSV. Love it.

Couple things to think about.

Towing, have your dealer let you pull a Mojo around the block with your Pathfinder or something. One thing I noticed about the Mojo is the Nose is a lot heavier then most boats. While the LSV and the Mojo come in at nearly the same weight, the Mojo is a lot more nose heavy, and this will effect your truck.

Engine, I have the 345 Surf engine. I would suggest it if you can find it in your budget.
    If you cant, I ran the 325 in my LSV and ran over 3K ballast, but I had to prop it with a 1617 prop. The 1235 wasn't enough.
    With the 345 Surf my boat came with a 1235 and it was more then fine most of the time.
    I have since upgraded that prop as well and I'm much happier.

If you go with the 330 engine it will do the job, you will need at least the 1235 prop, I would seriously reccomend you upgrade that to the same prop I have now. <can't recall the number but I can get it for you if needed>

As for the walk through on the sundeck, it wasn't an option on 13, and even if it was I wouldn't have asked for it. We use a towel that is velcroed to the ski pylon, and the rear tie downs. This serves several purposes.
    1 keeps people from slipping when getting in and out when the deck is wet
    2 keeps you from buring your feet walking in and out, or laying out in the sun
    3 protects it from our Dog jumping in and out.
    4 it abosrbs a lot of the water when you get out, so less is drained through the V drive lockers, less mess and mold to deal with.

One option I was on the fence about but after having it is a MUST, bow center cushion. The walk-through on the Mojo is very wide, and while it does have 2 cup holders in the front of the walkway, it has cup holders by the front speakers as well. I absolutly love the bow cushion we routinly have a 450 bag in the front, and 2-3 people. Sometimes we just put the 450 under the cushion and you can have 4 people having out up front. All depends on the day.

Front bow speakers, honestly if you can do this yourself do it. The cut outs are in place from the factory, as well as the wiring. All your paying for in the upgrade cost is them to add a pair of speakers and just the vynal. Several threads on the forum of people who did the upgrade them selves.

I can go on and on about the Mojo but hit me up if you want, or need more info.
    Last edited by mmandley; 01-30-2014 at 12:42 PM.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]