Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The big move

Default The big move

Which marina are you looking at using? I purchased my supra last summer from a marina on Normam that was dry docked at their facility it's entire life since leaving the factory in 2006. After being at there dry storage for 7+ years, did not have a single scratch on it interior or exterior, absolutely mint condition. I wouldn't hesitate to keep my boat there, or in a similar facility. Same idea, monster fork lift that just drops it in and pulls it out.

Holiday marina in cornelius
    2014 SC350
    2012 LSV - sold

This was Westport Marina. The few I checked out seemed pretty similar, I doubt you would have any issues. Especially if they keep it clean.

Not sure how familiar you are with that area of NC, but there a few smaller lakes that are great for wakeboarding not too far from Norman. Norman is definitely a nice lake, just gets kind of busy on the weekends for wakeboarding. During the week it's not usually a problem though.

Yah weve taken a fewfamily vacations to norman and really enjoyed it. Due to the nature of our jobs a lot of the time will be spent on the boat during the week so it allows us a little more good water. Weve always stayed on the north side of the lake where the water is better but were hoping that we can find some good spots on the south side as well. We'll be living in Cornelius. Besides Wylie, what other lakes do you suggest? Ive heard some people complaining about stumps and underwater damage on wylie, albeit this was from a shop at the north end of norman so they may have just been protecting their customer base.
    2014 SC350
    2012 LSV - sold

Ive heard some people complaining about stumps and underwater damage on wylie,
    Ive been boating on Wylie since 95. Stumps are nonexistent anywhere you would be boating and only a few sandy sholes and most are well marked. As long as you dont go too far up the Southfork past the Allan plant discharge or way north on the lake which is whats considered the Catawba river. It can get shallow the further north you go past the Allen plant intake. In the main sections of the lake, there are a couple of points that need to be taken wide though. For the most part, the lake bottom is sand a red clay. Outside of a severe drought, the water levels are fairly constant in all the lakes.

Mtn Island is a small lake thats right in between Norman and Wylie. Hickory is north west of Norman, back up the headwaters. Wateree is south of Wylie about 45 minutes by road and fed by the same river. East of Charlotte, youve got Badin and a couple others. Not much east untill you get into the mountains and you have Jocassee and Keowee, which is actually in SC. Jocassee is one of the best lakes ive been on. Down I85 2 hours is Hartwell right on the SC/GA line. Its a nice lake also.

funny to read this thread. also from ne ohio. uniontown. my wife is from youngstown. we love norman. heading back this august. we would love to move. talk about it weekly. only snags is cost of moving my business and leaving family. really, we need to just nut up and pull the trigger!
    Nick

2012 moomba mojo 2.5
    2005 Moomba outback-sold

If you are gonna work in Huntersville then I highly recommend living on the south side of the lake also! Traffic between Exit 36(Mooresville) the top of the lake and Exit 25(Huntersville) the south side of the lake is BEYOND terrible all the time. I live in south Charlotte/Ballantyne area and commute to Exit 36 everyday, I wish that traffic on nobody.
    2015 Moomba Mojo
    Black Flake/Intense Green
    Custom Sea-Dek Teak Floor
    Shaved, 5% Tint, SeaBlazeX & Spectrum
    1100lb Rears Upgrade, 2016 Flow Surf System
    WS-420SQ, WS-Rev10s, JL 2x12w6, 6xMX650s, 2xM600/1, M600/6, M400/4
    LED's in all the right places

2001 Supra 22SSV SOLD
    1991 Malibu Sunsetter SOLD

West side of lake in Denver area IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Gettin' It View Post
    . I live in south Charlotte/Ballantyne area and commute to Exit 36 everyday, I wish that traffic on nobody.
    Yuck that's a horrible commute, and I complain about going from Fort Mill to Tyvola via I-77! However I do work from home 75% of the time so I cannot complain at all, but traffic in this area sucks and gets exponentially worse every day.
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Ironcross25 View Post
    funny to read this thread. also from ne ohio. uniontown. my wife is from youngstown. we love norman. heading back this august. we would love to move. talk about it weekly. only snags is cost of moving my business and leaving family. really, we need to just nut up and pull the trigger!
    The toughest part is just finally saying lets do it. Its been a year and we could not have made a better decision and havn't looked back in the least. As a matterof fact, we've had 2 sets of relatives already make the move since we've been here.

The lake has been everything we hoped it would and probably more, same goes for the community as a whole.
    2014 SC350
    2012 LSV - sold