Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Wakeboard Tower Speakers & Recommendations

I need to purchase tower speakers and amp for my boat. I have 2 questions:

1. What brand is recommended?
    2. Do you recommend going with 2 or 4 speakers?

Per http://waterski.about.com/od/marinea...r-Speakers.htm

Rockford Fosgate M282
    Wet Sounds Revolution Series
    Wakeworks Bullet Twin
    Roswell Vamp Spin Speakers

Great winter thread!

The main recommendations here are going to be Exile, Kicker and Wetsounds ( in alpha order ).

First, what are you goals? Do you want a projection speaker that allows the speakers to be heard at wakeboard range or something more for surfing and hanging out in the cove?

Do you have a budget in mind? Will you be doing the install yourself?

What boat/tower do you have? 2 or 4 speakers, for the most parts, turns into a budget and aesthetic question. There are speakers on the market these days that have the ability to accomplish your goals with only 2 hanging on the tower.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Thanks KG...

1. I would like to project so that they can be heard at WB range.
    2. 2k??? and yes
    3. OZ tower

You will want to focus your search towards HLCD speakers. 3 of the 4 mentioned in the article you posted were Coaxial speakers and were also on the smaller, 6.5" side.

Popular HLCD options are: Wetsounds Rev series, Exile XM9, Kicker KM (i think), and I believe JL is now offering a HLCD option?

My recommendation: Pair of Wetsounds Rev10's (with RGB) and either a Syn4 or SD2.
    Another popular recommendation: Pair of Exile XM9 and a harpoon or XM30.2

I've been happy with my rev10s and syn4 setup. If you look Exile, I'd lean towards the XM30.2 over the harpoon. If you like the look of 4, I'd be interested to know if Sandm can hear his setup at wake range. I haven't heard the ICON series but they definitely peak my interest. I believe Exile now has a similar option as well.

You might find you want to do some work on your in boats and sub once your tower sounds great
    2016 Moomba Mojo

Thanks MLA & KG! I appreciate all your help!

Relevant, if you haven't already saved it ....

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....speaker-wiring
    2016 Moomba Mojo

This made me chuckle

and with a bass thump that can project to 80 feet and beyond.
    First, decide what your goals are, whether its a dedicated surf setup, dedicated wake range setup or one that does both well.

Traditional coaxials, whether its 2 pair of 6.5" or 1 or 2 pair of 8" will be a perfect surf setup. The larger driver will offer better sound quality and mid-bass extension.

An HLCD will be better for suited for a wake range setup. Smaller HLCD will certainly reach a boarder, but are really aggressive and tend to be harsh for the passengers in the boat because they lack mid-bass. Larger HLCDs offer a smoother balance between projection and mid-bass. The larger the HLCS, then better the SQ, deeper mid-bass extension. This makes them more ideal for those that want a great compromise between surf SQ and wake projection.

Once the speaker selection is made, the amp options will fall in line. Im partial to Class-D amp due to their small footprint and efficiency.

You're gonna love the 9s with the 30.2. Congrats

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

sorry kg, late to the party

icon8's are OK at wakeboard range, but not what they were meant for. comparing them to my old bullet 6.5's(not even a fair comparison really) and the couple rev10's I've heard, mine are a whole lot more "musical" than the hlcd's at close range and moderate volume levels, but if you want to crank at 80ft, go hlcd and go as big as you can afford.
    I was torn between spending the extra cash for a set of rev10's and really decided since I rarely board and 95% surf, the 4 icon8's was the right decision. I may not be the loudest at the sandbar, but I don't experience the harsh highs of the hlcd's.

with that being said, getting enough power to them and ensuring it's CLEAN power is just as important. I don't think the icon's would sound near as good as they do with a smaller amp. I'm using an arc ks300.2 at 2ohms.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Thanks Brian..

Guys customer service has been top notch. Brian has been awesome to deal with and has responded quickly to all my questions.
    2016 Moomba Craz
    Fusion Head/Remote
    Kicker Cabin/Sub/Amp
    4 Exile SXT9's
    Exile 30.2

2013 Moomba Mojo(Sold)
    2008 Tahoe(Sold)