Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter View Post
    We been going to Dale Hollow the past 5 years, we will be up there Labor Day weekend on a houseboat out of sunset marina.

2013 Moomba LSV
    We are doing a short weekend trip May 2-4 and getting a houseboat out of East Port called The Black Pearl
    http://www.eastport.info/houseboat/starship1/

Should be a good time. Then later this summer we are going again. My buddy has a house boat there so we should be there probably a week.
    2008 Mobius XLV - SOLD

For the people who have rented a houseboat for an extended period 5-7 days. Did you have any issue with running low on gas on the houseboat? We're looking at a 7 day trip with a 46ft (just 4 of us). Now I realize that your 'burn rate' will depend on several variables. Such as using the houseboat to travel around, running the generator etc.

Our plan is to move the houseboat a few times and camp out at a few different places. Possibly spend 2 nights per campsite. Try our best and conserve the gas for the generator and run during the day.

Main question I have is did you have to go back and refuel the houseboat mid trip? Another thing I noticed on the boat it only has a 8 cubic ft fridge. So I see having to goto the marina every couple days with the skiboat to scoop up ice for the ice chests.
    2009 LSV Liquid Force Edition
    - Gravity III - Upgraded 900lb rear locker
    - Z5 Rack
    - ACME 1847
    - Polk MM6501UM - Kicker IX500.4
    - Kicker CompVX 12" - Kicker IX1000.1
    - Pair Wetsounds Rev 10s - JL Audio HD750/1
    - RGB LEDs

Quote Originally Posted by Clamcakes View Post
    For the people who have rented a houseboat for an extended period 5-7 days. Did you have any issue with running low on gas on the houseboat? We're looking at a 7 day trip with a 46ft (just 4 of us). Now I realize that your 'burn rate' will depend on several variables. Such as using the houseboat to travel around, running the generator etc.

Our plan is to move the houseboat a few times and camp out at a few different places. Possibly spend 2 nights per campsite. Try our best and conserve the gas for the generator and run during the day.

Main question I have is did you have to go back and refuel the houseboat mid trip? Another thing I noticed on the boat it only has a 8 cubic ft fridge. So I see having to goto the marina every couple days with the skiboat to scoop up ice for the ice chests.
    That sounds about the size of ours. We had it 5 days 4 nights.

I was extremely surprised at how little fuel the generator used. It was very fuel efficient. We ran it mostly in the evening, Id say axp 4-6 hours a day and used about 10 gallons total. If i knew it was running that efficiently I would have ran it more.

2 things they told us, 1 you need to run the gen 4-5 hours per day. 2 you have to leave the Docking lights on all night. The all night docking lights seem to use more power then anything LOL.

We didn't put a lot of time on the main engine, we had twin 90hp outboards. They also were pretty decent on fuel. I think we spent about 50 bucks on fuel.

The marina will tell you to stop at every fuel station on your route.

As for the fridge, ours was pretty close to a full size unit and ran on propane. We had 2 fairly large propane tanks on the houseboat.

The only issue we actually had was the Grey water tank filled up and backed up into the shower. I was furious as this was only on the 3rd day and showers were very short.

Black water tank was no issue.

I think the last time the houseboat was rented the grey water tank wasn't drained. They said the Sinks, shower, goto the grey water and if need be can be dumped into the lake but i didn't want to do that in fear of contaminating the water around the house boat. We did have an outside shower and that got used the last night and day on the lake.

I personally did not like driving the houseboat at all. It was pretty windy and those dam things don't turn to well. I got it off the dock, to our camp location. Drove it back to the fuel station on the last day. Then I had them drive it back into the dock with all the other house boats. I'll stick to my Mojo LOL
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I live in Dora Al. Smith lake is my home lake

Default What's The Furthest You've Towed or Would Tow

We have been going to Dale Hollow lake for 5 years now,you can plan on the generator burning about 1 gallon an hour

2013 Moomba LSV
    2013 LSV
    2006 outback DD sold
    2004 Stingray 180LX sold

David

Default What's The Furthest You've Towed or Would Tow

Lived in NJ, drove out to Utah to buy my 21V and hauled it back. It was about 2,200 miles for that one way tow. Just moved to SC last July and towed it about 600 miles.
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale

We had two 4 stroke motors on our house boat they just switch the year or two before and all the fuel data was based of the two strokes and we ran the generator 3 or 4 hours a night. they told us not to pass up a gas station but we when we filled up in the middle of the lake we did not need to stop for the house boat that is.

The other thing to check is if your house boat does not have a tank for toy fuel or do you have to carry 5 gallon gas cans and each house boat had a limit of 5 gas cans per boat when we went. we had two house boats 50 gallons does not go far if you use your wake boat and two jet skis if used a lot. (it was a good thing we had 16 family and friends on the crew that understood the harder you play the more money you spend and was not scared to throw in their share plus some more.)

we had two boat so we put 5 cans on each house boat and I put an extra 8 cans in my wake boat. we cruised a 1/2 mile away from the marina and than loaded them on the house boat.

jon
    Last edited by wolff supra21v; 01-17-2014 at 09:31 AM.
    2007 supra 21v

I did not look to see where you were headed, Bullfrog or Wahweep, but, as I think Scott said, do not rent the bullforg rental boats. they are commonly referred to as bullforg beaters. we rented one in January one time when we went for a fun day trip, it used about 12 gal/hr and would not pull me up to ski with only 2 ppl in the boat. was not even worth the wakeboard ride.

i would definately tow my boat. i have towed from denver to lake powell, to bear lake ut, etc, in a long trip for about 2000 miles. no issues, took the Z5 off for the long haul, left it on for less than 100 miles.

Mike hit the HB fuel use pretty well. my experience is that the houseboat main engines do fine and probably do not need to refuel for the week trip. We typically put 15+ hours on the HB traveling spot to spot. usually carry 200+ gallons on board for the toys. grey water/black water is different, stop at any on water dump station and dump. we don't use the shower on the HB cuz i don't want to clean any more than i have to. you are on vacation on the water. why shower?

also towed the LSV behind the HB. depending on the HB, finding the sweet spot to pull the boat, we used several lengths of rope so the towed boat rode best. sometimes it was a short 50' tube rope, even used 2 tube ropes putting the boat out to 100+ feet.

yes, wind happens, be prepared every time you tie up, or leave the HB for a day trip. it might not blow where you are while you are out, but your HB camp may get blown out.

glad to offer any other thoughts on the lake if you like
    todd
    19 Mondo
    08 LSV, forever loved

Been watching Lake Powell vids out on youtube. Can't wait to get out there. Looked at current fuel prices at the marinas. Anywhere between 4.86 to 5.35 gallon for 87 octane!!!!
    2009 LSV Liquid Force Edition
    - Gravity III - Upgraded 900lb rear locker
    - Z5 Rack
    - ACME 1847
    - Polk MM6501UM - Kicker IX500.4
    - Kicker CompVX 12" - Kicker IX1000.1
    - Pair Wetsounds Rev 10s - JL Audio HD750/1
    - RGB LEDs

Quote Originally Posted by Clamcakes View Post
    Been watching Lake Powell vids out on youtube. Can't wait to get out there. Looked at current fuel prices at the marinas. Anywhere between 4.86 to 5.35 gallon for 87 octane!!!!
    You Texans live in the land of Cheap Gas.

Even at the normal Gas Station in town you Texans pay a lot less. Our cheapest Fuel in our area seems to be about 3.20. Its routine to see 5 a gallon at Marinas here. I was actually pleasantly surprised to see 4.50 a gallon at Powell in Sept.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

900 miles in one day - Annacortes, Washington to Menlo Park, CA in 17 hours, single driver. Virtually no stops - just for fuel and to-go fast food.