Default Wakeboarding after microdiscectomy question

Have a question for anyone that has or knows someone that has wakeboarded after a microdiscectomy. I had a full rupture of L5-S1 and a microdiscectomy surgery on November 22, 2013. I have been progressing nicely since surgery but still have some bad days but still a lot better then before surgery. Doctor told me if I strengthen my core and be cautious, I should be able wakeboard again. I am very nervous as I don't want to re herniate the disc and have another surgery. I am curious if anyone has gone back to wakeboarding after a microdiscectomy? Everything I've read 6 month recovery which takes me up to the season. Is this upcoming season to soon to try and wakeboard again?

Mike
    2007 Moomba Outback V

Try surfing first to ease back into it. Great way to rehab until you are ready to board again.
    '06 Outback - Gone but not forgotten
    '13 Mojo

Never had the actual surgery. I had badly herniated L4 L5 discs years ago and had Sciatic pain down my leg to the ankle for over a year .Through rehab and as you mentioned CORE strenghthening, I was able to Slalom water ski the whole time,although injury did have about 4 months to heal before first waterski. I only Carefully skied and was extra carefull to avoid any big exertion and avoiding a big fall.

For this reason this is why i really at that point essentially gave up wakeboarding, so i could really avoid a big crash. I have to admit Wakeboarding was just a thing to do at the time and Slalom always was and still is my main passion. This injury actually took a couple YEARS to get to the point where i was not AFRAID and very cautious.

I'm not saying you can't(your doctor might) but its something you can try to prepare yourself for but i suggest....Do Not push it. I don't know how old you are and what kinda shape you are in etc, but if you are not carefull this can and will effect you for the rest of your life.

Surfing is very low impact so either way there is still hope. Also i'm not sure how benefitial it would be for wakeboarding,but GOODE has a vest with built in support staps etc that are geared for those with back issues. There is a huge difference in the ammount of back strain there is from coming out of the water waterskiing versus wakeboarding , but this may be a solution. Key here is to try to avoid big crashes.These tend to be way more common in Wakeboarding versus waterskiing.

Best advice i can give is Work hard on CORE strengthening, Then be very carefull and build up just like early season but way more so. Streching and warming up are key, as is post activities and i find Advil or whatever anti inflamatory you are likely using will help....Good luck
    07 Outback DD

Mickey, thanks for the advice. I am 37 years old and right now out of shape due to this back injury which sidelined me since May. I actually herniated the disc in October 2010 and went through everything possible and waterskied, kneeboarded and wakeboarded every year since expect this past season. I wakeboarded twice in May which may have done me in, not sure. I am ok with hanging up the wakeboard, if I can surf or ski. I really don't want to go through the horrible pain I've been through the last 3 years. Unfortunately, I don't have have the ballast setup in the boat to surf nor do I have a board. Yikes is this going to get costly. I still have several months of recovery and rehab before I even think of jumping in the water.
    2007 Moomba Outback V

Ditto on the core strengthening. That is what got me back in the saddle again. I do have an occasional issue but it is happening less and less. The people doing PT will show you the exercises.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD