Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS Unit or App

Default GPS Unit or App

Just curious if anyone uses a certain brand of GPS unit or an app in their Moomba. I won't have a home lake and would like to be able to use something as we move from lake to lake next summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jesse

2014 Mondo

I use a Garmin hand held with the detailed map which works great when determining the shallow areas as it marks your route. If you just want a general location, I use my tablet running off of Google map in satellite mode. The satellite view is easier to comprehend.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Are you using it stay off the rocks or find your way back to the landing when on the big water? Our cabin is out by Detroit Lakes, MN and we stay pretty stationary on our lake. My depth finder hasn't failed me yet and I would save the cash for gas money and find a good map app that would work for navigating back home.
    2013 Mobius LSV
    2004 Centurion T5

I use Back Country Navigator. Have for about 5 years now. It allows you to down load a area to memory so you can use it with no data signal. Keeps trip data and tracks.

Default GPS Unit or App

Quote Originally Posted by Boatdrinks797 View Post
    Are you using it stay off the rocks or find your way back to the landing when on the big water? Our cabin is out by Detroit Lakes, MN and we stay pretty stationary on our lake. My depth finder hasn't failed me yet and I would save the cash for gas money and find a good map app that would work for navigating back home.
    We will have a depth finder in the Mondo, so it would be more for finding our way. I was thinking that I could maybe just use the Google map app but I wasn't sure if other apps such as those made by Navionics offer any additional useful features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jesse

2014 Mondo

A friend told me about an App called Maverick. It has a record feature so you can follow your path back. I haven't used it yet but it looks like it will work and its FREE.

Default Re: GPS Unit or App

I have navionics app for my phone, for lakes and rivers, they may have data for your lakes. I never use it though, I just use Google maps...

You can make the Google maps app cache the map info ahead of time if you don't have data access on the lake..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by parrothd; 12-31-2013 at 10:33 AM.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

I have the 10$ navionics app also and I mainly use it for fishing but Im sure it would work great for new lakes, tells you the depth, speed and shows contour lines. It doesn't however track your course but you can mark as many spots as you want on any lake or river and it saves it for you.
    2008 Mobius LSV

Default GPS Unit or App

Quote Originally Posted by Henri3 View Post
    I have the 10$ navionics app also and I mainly use it for fishing but Im sure it would work great for new lakes, tells you the depth, speed and shows contour lines. It doesn't however track your course but you can mark as many spots as you want on any lake or river and it saves it for you.
    Sure it creates tracks. I use it all the time on new water. I do still miss my side scan sonar/gps chart plotter from my fishing days though.

Matt
    2021 Mojo
    2016 Mojo (sold)
    2012 LSV (sold)

Default GPS Unit or App

+1 for navionics on my iPhone. It's the bomb.com

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD