Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: New Tow Rig

Default New Tow Rig

bring him a 12 pack of beer at closing time and you'll always be his/her #1

Sent from my iP5s on an app called tapatalk 2
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Default New Tow Rig

Quote Originally Posted by jpetty3023 View Post
    bring him a 12 pack of beer at closing time and you'll always be his/her #1

Sent from my iP5s on an app called tapatalk 2
    I will have to take your advice! My first experience went badly, the service writer told me it would have to go to their body shop but it was closed. I guess it's five miles away from the dealership but he offered me no address or phone number, I explained the handle felt flimsy and he was unwilling to step out of his booth and look at it.
    I guess they have plenty of business.
    -Jake

Finally had a reason to tow with the Eco Boost today. Took Beastia down to AWS to get a few things looked over. Towed axp 80 miles round trip.

Averaged around 9.4mpg which is about what i expected seeing the area i was driving. More city then highway.

Hooked up the boat and got a considerable drop on the rear end. Nearly 4 inches and that's with the Tow package. I haven't got the active suspension installed yet so I expect that to take a lot of the drop out.

Ride wise, with the 4inch drop the truck just felt lower to the ground then I like but I got used to it.

Power wise on the drive to AWS it felt slightly slower then I expected. It wasn't having a problem towing, I think its just the last 4 years I towed with a Diesel and now I'm not. Also i am pretty easy on my throttle to conserve fuel since I do drive so much. When I stepped into the throttle response was good and the truck did move really well.

On the drive home from AWS I noticed the truck had a lot more power, or felt like it did, I think this was just be getting used to the amount of throttle I needed with the boat behind the truck. Over all the mileage was 9.3 and when I was on the highway she was hovering around 12-13 on the dash meter.

I realistically think the truck will settle right into 11 mpg towing long distance and other then the low riding height of the rear end I am happy to say I enjoyed towing with the Eco.

I'm waiting for another buddy to install his Active Suspension on his Eco so I can see what kinda of rear end drop he gets with his boat, then I can really make the choice if i want to invest in the Active Suspension or go with my traditional air bag set up.

Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Just towed my boat from Tampa to Pensacola. Headwind and 65-70 mph for 463 miles and avg 12.9 mpg. Not too bad and no worse than my 5.3 Avalanche on the same route.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Mike, do you think the ECM or whatever it has ajusted itself after the first tow and was a little more ready to go for the tow home?
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Mike, do you think the ECM or whatever it has ajusted itself after the first tow and was a little more ready to go for the tow home?
    Thats very possible. After I hooked the boat up, I was able to create a profile for the trailer. Name it, preset the electric brake gain <don't need that> and some other parameters. It also tracks the miles I pull the trailer in a seperate Trip counter. Pretty cool.

I know the F350 trans would relearn on its own to your driving style over time. Or you could reflash it with the on board tuner I ran.

With the F150 I don't know how it works exactly as I haven't read into it yet. I wouldn't be surprised if the truck learns my driving style and adjusts its shifting and such to it. I know on my way home from AWS it seemed like a lot more power was on hand and I didn't notice the boat behind me as much.

My only complaint at the moment is my weight distribution hitch that has my rock guard on it won't work on the F150. The truck sits to low and the guards drag.

I bought a new reciever for the F150 for now but its loose and sloppy sounding in the hitch. Always clunking, that is going to have to be fixed LOL.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    I bought a new reciever for the F150 for now but its loose and sloppy sounding in the hitch. Always clunking, that is going to have to be fixed LOL.
    I know the fix for that:

duct.jpg

The stuff has so many uses:

ductape_059.jpg
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Default New Tow Rig

Mike, were you running your Eco in Tow/Haul mode?

I have the same truck and boat and I don't think I get that much drop on mine (I'll have to take a close look when I get it out next month). I use a receiver with a 3/4" rise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by uniwarking; 02-26-2014 at 02:15 PM.
    2022 Moomba Mojo
    2013 Moomba Mojo 2.5 (sold)

Tow - 2019 Ford F150 Ecoboost

Quote Originally Posted by uniwarking View Post
    Mike, were you running your Eco in Tow/Haul mode?

I have the same truck and boat and I don't think I get that much drop on mine (I'll have to take a close look when I get it out next month). I use a receiver with a 3/4" rise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yup I use the tow/haul mode. Lots of hills in my area so it makes more sence to hold it in gear longer and allow the auto downshifting.

I am also using the 3/4 rise. Boat is sitting nice and level with the truck squating. After I add the active suspension or Air bags ill have to use the 2inch drop instead im sure.

I measured it again yesterday.
    Top of rear bumper no boat 30"
    Boat connected 27"

3 inch drop, but after we add 4-5 adults, gear to the bed of the truck I'll see more drop LOL.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Default New Tow Rig

Why they don't all come with self leveling air suspension from the factory confuses me

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD