Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: New Tow Rig

Default New Tow Rig

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I'm pretty sure you will like the way it pulls. I kinda compare the torque the Eco boost produces to be similar in the way my dads old 84 Big block chev used to pull. Lots of grunt, easily pulled the boat at highway speeds and hills , etc were no probs. Big difference was that truck ,got between 8,10 mpg, on a good day, compared to anywhere from 14 up to maybe 16. depending on circumstances of course.

I tend to drive heavy foot and use what ever power i have when it comes to hills etc and ECOBOOST has not disappointed.

Good to hear. While I did get 13.6 in the burb once, I plant my right foot and get 10-12 loaded or not. But going from a 7.4 to a 3.5 that has slightly more power is pretty crazy. Guess I can't wait to join the ford club.
    -Jake

I felt the same as you Jake turning over the keys to my 6.4 for a 3.5. So fare driving in town is a pleasure again, parking is so much easier again.

Power seems spot on for the truck so fare. i have noticed a few times i get turbo lag when say slowing down for a light, then it changes and i go to accelerate and the truck is either down shifting or something but you get a lag in power. Both my diesels would do this as well.

Something to put your mind at ease is the 6.0 is 325hp and 570 torque stock. Plus add that the Excusion weighs in at almost 8K lbs.

The Eco weighs in closer to 6K so 2K weight and only 150 torque less is what helps the Eco stand out.

Power band is very similar in that a 6.0 likes 1600-2200 for max torque and the Eco is 2200-4500 max torque in its RPM range.

I still haven't towed with it but so fare I really have no regrets as a daily driver.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Default New Tow Rig

I looked at that flat torque curve and really liked it.

Just picked it up.
    -Jake

We don't often get snow/ice in FL, but my F150 really impressed me on how well the traction control/ABS worked. I "attempted" to have fun on the ice, but TC worked really well. For all of the bad press the stock Goodyear tires get on here, I have been impressed with them. They did well in the icy conditions too.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

All 4 of my other trucks had Goodyears on them . All Season tires. While they are not a Great tire by any means, They were far and away better in the Cold than the Pirelli All seasons i have now. This is the first truck of 5 that i have actually put TRUE winter tires on. Due to the severe lack of confidence the Pirellis provide.

These tire are Ok in summer, and after one more season of summer driving, the Pirellis will Go BYE BYE and i will research and find a Good All season set of tires to replace with.

After now having true winter tires though i likely will continue using these and more in the future. As Max mentioned though TC Does work well if the rear gets a little loose, weather it be intentional or not.
    07 Outback DD

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    and i will research and find a Good All season set of tires to replace with.
    Can't speak to other GY tires but have a look at Goodyear Duratacs. May sway your opinion. Had them on my 1/2 ton and absolutely loved them. Winter rated as well.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Default New Tow Rig

I had the Kelly TSR's on my suburban which share the see same carcass as the Duratrac with a slightly different tread pattern and loved them (just got a deal on the Kelly's or I would have got GY)

-Jake

Sadly for us , some of these Off brands are not always available to us Canadians. There are a few brands you get that we don,t and our pricing is ususally quite a bit higher. A brand i like is Cooper , but they are hard to find. You luckily have a MUCH better selection and prices when it come to tires. When the time truely comes, i may come south and pick up new tires ,while on holidays , but for replacement issues i will likely try to find a brand that possibly is available here as well, just in case i have a blowout or something and want to try to match brands etc.

Even paying Duty etc, buying tires down there is likely cheeper than buying up here.....
    07 Outback DD

Default New Tow Rig

Couple of pics from the tint shop

-Jake

Damn - looking nice Jake! I may have to look into the blackout tail lights - sharp with that charcoal gray.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...