Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Jealous. I got the 5.3 in the 'burb. Wish I had a nice new one with a 6.2L. But, mine's just getting broken in. Only has 128k on it.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

What others said about the 5.3 Chevy is true. It is a workhorse and does great towing. I have a 2002 Tahoe with 5.3 215,000miles original motor original transmission, a saab 9-7x with the 5.3 96,000miles and also a 2008 Denali with the 6.2L. The 6.2 is an absolute monster and does tow slightly better than the Tahoe but with the AWD and 6.2 it gets slightly worse gas mileage. I will be headed the 10hrs one way to Brostock the June with the XLV so with gear, coolers and people we will be at 6,000 pounds or more and I will be driving the Tahoe with 215,000 miles on it. Just hate putting miles on the newer trucks and the Tahoe tows great. I would say they are the best all around SUV I have owned.

Also you can get a very clean 2000-2006 tahoe for under $10,000 or a 2007 and up for around $17,000
    Boat: 09 Moomba Gravity Games

Tow vehicles: 2002 Tahoe, 2006 Saab 9-7x 5.3i, 2009 Yukon Denali, 1998 Savana 3500

Other toys: 2008 Seadoo GTX 215, 2009 Seadoo RXP-X 255

I picked up a new F-150 Platinum Ecoboost (with max tow package) this past June after having an Avalanche LTZ. I read all the reviews and specs on the towing capacity etc, but never did test drive it with the boat.
    Loaded up the boat and truck for vacation having never towed with it and wow.
    All I can say is the Ecoboost is awesome. So smooth and quiet. Really noticed the difference uphill...barely seems to be working where my Avalanche would scream especially towing through the mountains, at times struggling to get up to 90 km/hr.
    Amazing what Ford accomplished with a V6.
    Was worried I would miss the ride of my Avalanche but the Ford has not disappointed.
    So far so good.
    Boats....vessels of freedom. 2008 Moomba Outback 340 hp.

Quote Originally Posted by 02tahoeindiana View Post
    What others said about the 5.3 Chevy is true. It is a workhorse and does great towing. I have a 2002 Tahoe with 5.3 215,000miles original motor original transmission,
    Did you ever replace all the cooling system hoses on yours? If so, at what mileage? I'm thinking about doing this before summer as they are now over 12 years old.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I have not replaced any cooling lines or hoses on mine yet. Did replace the water pump last summer as the seal got leaky. But all my hoses seem to be in excellent condition still. Its remarkable for a 12year old vehicle especially as frequently as its driven. Ive considered flushing the radiator and transmission cooler this summer but it stays as cool as when we bought it in 02. The best maintenance on these trucks is driving them. Keeping the seals and rubber all in good form. If i ever let it sit for a few months i feel it would deteriorate but it has been driven nearly every day for 12 years straight.

Tow vehicles: 2002 Tahoe, 2006 Saab 9-7x 5.3i, 2009 Yukon Denali, 1998 Savana 3500

I did a full transmission fluid change on mine at around 70k. I'm going to do it again soon. I like to unhook the lines and let it pump out while I keep adding more. I throw away 2 gal. or so but get a pretty full change. Also drop the pan and clean it real good and put in a new filter. Might think about doing something like this. I'm going to grab some generic coolant hose and new clamps and start keeping it with me.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Ive definitely considered flushing the transmission and kept telling myself I would but now it seems I may be at the point where it could cause more hurt than help. 218kmiles on factory fluid and it still whips shifts with the corvette servo. Fear is that i could stir up so many particles i could end up clogging the valve body once its flushed and put back together. Have you added any upgraders, bigger cooler or corvette servo? Mine shifts so firm still its amazing. Plan on heading out to SC to pick up a new boat then pulling it all the way back then taking it 10hrs the other way to brostock and back so that will be the breaking point im guessing if it decides to start to slip that will sure create some heat.

You will definitely find out if she's still a front line vehicle.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 02tahoeindiana View Post
    Ive definitely considered flushing the transmission and kept telling myself I would but now it seems I may be at the point where it could cause more hurt than help. 218kmiles on factory fluid and it still whips shifts with the corvette servo. Fear is that i could stir up so many particles i could end up clogging the valve body once its flushed and put back together. Have you added any upgraders, bigger cooler or corvette servo? Mine shifts so firm still its amazing. Plan on heading out to SC to pick up a new boat then pulling it all the way back then taking it 10hrs the other way to brostock and back so that will be the breaking point im guessing if it decides to start to slip that will sure create some heat.
    I agree 100% do not flush a trans with that many miles on the fluid. The new fluid will be so abrasive it will eat out the seals and you will have leaks then a full failure.

I used to see this all the time at Ford when I was a tech. Old cars or high milage would come in 1 week for a big service and trans flush. Then come back the next week with trans leaks, just to be told the trans was trashed now.

The best thing you can do is change the fluid every 15-30K miles depending on if its a tow vehicle or hard city driving. Change the filter in the trans and keep driving.

I have personally never flushed all the fluid from a trans on my cars only drop the pan, clean it, replace filters, and refill it.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    The best thing you can do is change the fluid every 15-30K miles depending on if its a tow vehicle or hard city driving. Change the filter in the trans and keep driving.

I have personally never flushed all the fluid from a trans on my cars only drop the pan, clean it, replace filters, and refill it.
    This is obviously the best route if done on schedule. But, it's also the one maintenance item so many people seem to skip. So, if I buy a vehicle with around 50-70k on it I'll do a full change and then do it again every time after that.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!