Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Brantford View Post
    The best way to know for sure is to tow a boat similar to yours during the test drive, and to have a somewhat challenging course planned. Since you don't yet have a boat or an adequate tow vehicle yet, soliciting help from a friend with both items would be in order. New vehicle sellers will probably not allow towing (because the engine and brakes aren't broken in), but it should be fine for a used vehicle.
    Most dealers will allow you to take the vehicle for a few hours, or even overnight, if you seem very serious about buying the vehicle regardless of new or used. Take it home, hook up your boat, and go tow it around a little. They don't even have to know.
    Boats previously owned - 2000 Supra Launch, 2003 Outback, 2006 Mobius LSV

Shoot, find the vehicle you like and then tell them you wanna drive to the house and tow the boat around the block with it. If it performs and is comfortable, you'll buy. They'll go for it.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I have towed smaller boats, motorcycle trailers and other stuff with smaller vehicles like a Jeep wrangler and it was terrible. Not enough weight or power. We road the struggle bus. Then I had a GMC Sierra for a while and it did ok with boats, motorcycle trailers. About 3 years ago I bought my first F350 2002 with 250,000 miles and it was a great truck. Then I upgraded and bought a new F350 last year and I will never go back. I can tow anything I need and have no issues. I use it as a daily driver. I work 40 miles from home and because I like it more then my wife's Kia we usually take the truck everywhere. In 13 months I have 35,000 miles on my new F350. I know not everyone needs a diesel truck but for towing you can't beat it. Especially for longer drives. IMO diesel is the way to go. But what Kaneboats said... test drive something if it tows the boat fine then you got what you need. Good luck
    2008 Mobius XLV - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Wax View Post
    Most dealers will allow you to take the vehicle for a few hours, or even overnight, if you seem very serious about buying the vehicle regardless of new or used. Take it home, hook up your boat, and go tow it around a little. They don't even have to know.
    This works sometimes now a days. I recently bought a new rig, and the owners book says specifically no towing for 1000 miles. The dealer said absolutely not they would not let me tow with it. I called almost ever Ford dealer in my area and they all said no dice Jack.

Luckily I know some people with just as big a boat as mine that i trust their thoughts and keeping my fingers crossed it will tow well.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Mike, when looking to replace our 06 duramax i found one dealer in Columbus that said go hook it up and try it. I was surprised, I grabbed my dads 249 Glastron mid cabin that weights over 7,500 with trailer and non working breaks. I was surprised how will it did. Just can't get rid of the Duramax until it starts costing more than fuel, want 200k out of it. Only 10,500 more miles. Sorry about your F350, hope you enjoy the new F150

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    This works sometimes now a days. I recently bought a new rig, and the owners book says specifically no towing for 1000 miles. The dealer said absolutely not they would not let me tow with it. I called almost ever Ford dealer in my area and they all said no dice Jack.

Luckily I know some people with just as big a boat as mine that i trust their thoughts and keeping my fingers crossed it will tow well.
    Hence why I said they don't even need to know about it. Just take the color you don't want home, and then when you go back if you like the vehicle tell them you wanted black instead of red lol!
    Boats previously owned - 2000 Supra Launch, 2003 Outback, 2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Wax View Post
    Hence why I said they don't even need to know about it. Just take the color you don't want home, and then when you go back if you like the vehicle tell them you wanted black instead of red lol!
    HAHA sneaky, Maybe if i grabbed the cheaper XLT Eco that might have worked, but the trim package i have knows when you hook a trailer to it, the computer in the dash has all these settings and stuff for towing. It knows when you connect the trailer, it will remind you if you put the boat on it and don't connect the harness LOL.

All seriousness, every truck i have bought up here, the sales guy goes on the test ride, he tells you where you can and can't drive. They won't let the trucks out of there sight.

I remember buying cars with my grandpa and he used to bring them home over night all the time while shopping. IDK if things have really changed that much or what. I just know up here so fare the dealers won't let you have the truck alone. IDK maybe its the way i look? LOL i don't walk in the dealer with a fist full of hundos like I do when I buy my boats.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

$1's make the stack look bigger.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by dusty2221 View Post
    $1's make the stack look bigger.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    True dat!!!
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Default Advice on a Tow Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    HAHA sneaky, Maybe if i grabbed the cheaper XLT Eco that might have worked, but the trim package i have knows when you hook a trailer to it, the computer in the dash has all these settings and stuff for towing. It knows when you connect the trailer, it will remind you if you put the boat on it and don't connect the harness LOL.

All seriousness, every truck i have bought up here, the sales guy goes on the test ride, he tells you where you can and can't drive. They won't let the trucks out of there sight.

I remember buying cars with my grandpa and he used to bring them home over night all the time while shopping. IDK if things have really changed that much or what. I just know up here so fare the dealers won't let you have the truck alone. IDK maybe its the way i look? LOL i don't walk in the dealer with a fist full of hundos like I do when I buy my boats.
    They didn't have a demo model with 1,000 miles on it. This would be a huge selling point IMO. Have a demo in every engine option for people to tow with or whatever that has already been broken in. Then sell the new stuff and sell the demos at a discount at the end of the year. Everyone wins

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD