Default Synthetic Oil for New Truck

Bought a new 2013 F 150 4x4 it has the 5.0 engine. Should I start using synthetic oil, after first oil change? I will be using it mainly as transportation. I drive about 12,000 miles a year. I only pull the Moomba once a year for service. Any information would be great. I plan on reading the manual this weekend.

Congratz on the new rig.

I personally dont like to run Full Synthetic till after 10K to let the engine break in.
    If your really die hard on it then you can go 50% synthetic after the second oil change <6K>
    Just make sure you change the oil before or right at 3k from the factory as this oil will have the most wear in it and also all the engine lubes they use from the factory to preserve the engine till its ran will be in this oil.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Thanks for info. I'm no Motörhead.

All new Fords come with semisynthetic oil from the factory. There is no reason that you can't/shouldn't change over. Of course, there is no reason to go full syn either if you follow the recommended service cycles of your vehicle.

When I lived in Tampa, the local Ford dealer always had oil change specials (from $12.99-19.99), so I haven't changed the oil in my EB yet. I moved, so I need to do it soon. If I do it myself, I will be going Mobil 1.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

I started using Mobile 1 in 1977 we lived in IL with long cold winters.The reason I made the switch was for the wide viscosity range . Synthetics don't thicken when cold, at -0 temps the engine will turn over like its summer. Synthetic oil and premium fuel is the best way to insure your car will start when its 10 below or colder. The fact that it lubricates better is a bonus IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    I personally dont like to run Full Synthetic till after 10K to let the engine break in.
    mitsu's evo and suby's sti both come with full synth from the factory as do many other high-hp supercars. nothing wrong with switching out with first change. have with all 3 of my sportbikes that rev north of 16krpms and no issues with them.
    as you mentioned, the most important thing with oil is to never miss the first one and the ensure you change regularly after that.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Suprahunter View Post
    Synthetic oil and premium fuel is the best way to insure your car will start when its 10 below or colder. The fact that it lubricates better is a bonus IMO.
    I would not lump these together. Most vehicles derive no benefit from "premium" fuel. You'd be better off finding an ethanol free regular unleaded unless your vehicle calls for a higher octane fuel.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Word of advice, don't put anything but motor craft oil in or they will void your warranty. The only difference between motor craft and non is a barium additive. If you have an engine problem and the lab finds no barium in the oil sample you're S.O.L.
    And yes all ford products come with a synthetic blend. All motorcraft oil is a syn blend.
    Last edited by newty; 11-14-2013 at 12:52 PM.

PWI as usual...

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    mitsu's evo and suby's sti both come with full synth from the factory as do many other high-hp supercars. nothing wrong with switching out with first change. have with all 3 of my sportbikes that rev north of 16krpms and no issues with them.
    as you mentioned, the most important thing with oil is to never miss the first one and the ensure you change regularly after that.
    I agree, even my 93 Vette has full synthetic from the factory in it and it says in several places on the engine to only use full synthetic.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I used to do my first oil change on a new vehicle at 700 - 1000 miles and then every 3000 after that. This was on the advice of a buddy who was a shop supervisor for a huge fleet of vehicles at the power company. With closer tolerances and synthetic lubricants I don't know if you need to do that anymore but I would still make sure to do the first one (and all of the rest) on schedule.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!