Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Default Not Boat Related, but Stereo Related

Looks great and will last a lifetime -- much better than anything you could find in a store. Not to mention the pride you taking in making something of that kind of quality!!

If I may brag for a minute....I spent several months planning and building a bar for my basement and it still looks great some 10+ yrs later. All hand made including the oak bar rail which was a real bitch.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392671846.148939.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1392671857.447613.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1392671869.381720.jpg

2013 Outback V
    2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

Quote Originally Posted by mikenehrkorn View Post
    Looks great and will last a lifetime -- much better than anything you could find in a store. Not to mention the pride you taking in making something of that kind of quality!!

If I may brag for a minute....I spent several months planning and building a bar for my basement and it still looks great some 10+ yrs later. All hand made including the oak bar rail which was a real bitch.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392671846.148939.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1392671857.447613.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1392671869.381720.jpg

2013 Outback V
    That is Gorgeous!!!!!! I love the built-in sink and the stemware support....
    Last edited by philwsailz; 02-17-2014 at 05:24 PM.

Those are some really nice bars!
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

With the quality of work you have posted, you should be doing this for a living. Nice job!
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV Ballast III (stock), Heater, Roswell Quad Spin Pro, Bimini

Staining and sealing have started. I still need to finish molding the edge detail on lower bar surfaces before they get sanded and sealed. I need to stain and seal the uppoer cabinets too, then stain and seal the equipment racks, (not shown). Still a ways out but the pics here show a good representation of what it will look like.

Me likey!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Damm fine work !
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    Damm fine work !
    Can I make you a Martini, Mr. bond?

Ugh.....always loved the building but hated the finishing......as expected it looks awesome!!

How many coats of poly on the top?
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

4 so far. I am a wood boat restorer on occasion, so I am used to taking a month to get a good build, (20 coats) of exterior UV boat show varnish. I am pickey.... The wood boat experience has taught me some things to do to speed up finish work. Rolll-and-tip is one trick. Us a small foam roller to quickly get your finish material on , then just drag a wet brush through it to remove roller texture and bubbles. You can put a coat on this bar top in about two minutes in this manner....

I am using something different here, based on some preliminary samples. Tests so far tell me it is really a good product for this application. I am using a water-based polyurethane from Rustoleum... I have a UV radiant heater in my shop. I am able to bring the wood up to a temp, then shut the heater off while I am applying the finish. Turn the heater on and in about 20 minutes it is ready for over-coating...

Easy easy east easy.... I was concerned I would not get a build of material that gave the top that deep water-soaked wet look but I am wrong. The grain is popping already with just 4 coats and shows a lot of depth contrast from board to board.

The build is thick enough now for a scuff sanding to flatten the high spots. Then 4 more coats and I will see where things are. At this point I am not trying for a thicker coating, as I think I already have sufficient build thickness. I am looking for a flat coating; one that doesn't have the grain texture telegraphed through as microscopic high and low spots. The sanding after these 4 coats will tell me how flat and filled the grain is after these coats. It is Hard Rock Maple; I really don't think it will take 20 coats like that porous old teak and mahogany we work with on boats....
    Last edited by philwsailz; 02-25-2014 at 01:39 PM.

I love the quick drying poly as well, mostly because I lack the patience. I tend to use a fairly simple method with my poly.......very thin coats using a foam brush followed by light steel wool and then cleaned with a tack cloth just prior to next coat. And I can usually get 2-3 coats per brush (depending on the project size) by dropping it into a sealed sandwich bag between coats.

I would think 5-10 coats should be more than enough to give you years of beauty and durability.
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate