Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Here area the rest of the pics. I can only place 5 at a time in a post....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Might as well show you the roll-around racks

Phil,

Those pics look awesome - almost in time for the Cotton Bowl and the Sugar Bowl!
    Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Eric.

Here are a few shots of the almost finished base cabinet for the fridge. The large cavity to the left is where the fridge goes. the right cavity will get two full extension drawers, if "drawers" is what you want to call them. The design I am going towards on the drawers is a lot like what you find for kitchen cabinets where the drawer is actually a full extension shelving unit; a pantry if you will... the actual face of the drawer will be tall, but when you pull it open the sides will be low.

The drawers will be where the liquor bottles live. I think there is enough vertical height to get two drawers in there with typical bottles. If I get tricky I might put switches on the things with some LED underlighting that light the bottles when the drawer pulls out. We will see.

The stain color for the base is a custom blend I cooked up. I had to mix a special batch from two different colors bought at the big box store combined with some wood boat filler stain the get the results I wanted. Filler stain is interesting stuff; I wish it were more readily available at home stores. I really don't want to do wood work without it and I am about to run out of the stash I amassed.

The top is clear unstained maple. I re-sawed boards to flip them on edge, exposing a harder surface, making it look more like the reclaimed bowling alley that will be the actual bar top. I don't have a power planer large enough to do this size of a board so I hand planed the top flat and then scraped it smooth prior to a light sanding. I feel like Popeye this morning.... The result is beautiful. I built in some flaws on purpose, jst so it looks even more like the old bowling alley chunk I have. Color-wise the two look identical so I am happy.

The first assembled pic shows the top in an un-routered, un-finished state. The last pic shows the top after two coats of finish. I will build to 4, then sand and build to 8, then sand and build to 10. That should hopefully get me the flat smooth deep look I am gunning for.

Here is some update to the detail work going into the actual bar. I had a plywood seam in the front of the main cabinet, and it needed to be covered somehow, so this Deco-inspired detail is how I decided to cover the seam. Also note the apron and cap around the lower portions of the cabinet.

I gotta figure out how to cut the bowling alley blank. Work on the main bar is almost at a standstill until I can get that part figured out. I need real counter-top dimensions to work with to finish out the tops, and I won't have that until the alley chunk is cut.

Looks great............from experience, make sure to keep at least a small amount of your stain custom blend for the occasional scratch, scrape, etc. -- you'll be happy you did.
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

Quote Originally Posted by mikenehrkorn View Post
    Looks great............from experience, make sure to keep at least a small amount of your stain custom blend for the occasional scratch, scrape, etc. -- you'll be happy you did.
    No doubt. I have a half-gallon mixed up and I think/hope I am going to have some spare.

Looking really good, Phil. Love the custom mix. Nothing like getting something exactly how you want it.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Lunchtime. Quick crude image of beer fridge in cabinet

Quote Originally Posted by philwsailz View Post
    Lunchtime. Quick crude image of beer fridge in cabinet
    Looking Great!

If I leave now, I think I can make in time for next week's playoff games!
    Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Eric.