Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Not Boat Related, but Stereo Related

Hi guys-

Just wanted to show a few pics of my man-cave build out in the shop. I am losing the space for my office in the house, so building an office in the shop was only logical. Since I am swinging the hammer, I figure why not add enough space for a good theater. My plan is for in-walls, (I already have some nice Dayton Audio MTM in-walls on-hand) for the theater. I will then probably have some free-standing speakers on stands for any recording or editing work I do. I will have a small dry bar with fridge, and I may bring my shuffleboard in to the office from its current location in the garage.

I am ready for texture at the moment, then paint, then floor and trim, and themn I start moving in.

Anyway, here are a few pics of my new digs, in progress.

David will probably dig my ideas on the surround. I am going old-school, at least for a while and will be using either a passive Hafler-style matrix decoder for the rear speakers or I will use one of the active Quadrophonic options that existed in the 70's. NO CENTER CHANNEL initially, as it is my opinion that a center channel speaker is unnecessary with defined center-position seating. I have 5 identical in-walls and I pre-wired for a center channel speaker, but I am going ot leave it out for now to see what I come up with. One item floating around on the used market I am curious about is the SOny SQD-2020. It is a 4-channel decoder and does it at the preamp level, so I can use two stereo power amps on the back-end of the Sony decoder and have full control over each of the 4 channels. I can add a digital delay if I want to add some distance to the back speaker artificially.

There are two HDMI pulls from the equipment rack to the TV. I can use HDMI switching in the TV if I want, with an audio feed back to the rack from the TV. I am not saying I amgoing to run it that way, but I have the flexibility built in if I choose to.

I want to have this all done before Dec. 14. I gotta get my game on....
    Attached Images Attached Images

A few more pics with drywall in place

Pics pre-drywall. This thing is well insulated....

looking nice, what ya going to do with it? Bar, Big screen, pool table?
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Possibly all of the above. My wife wants a pool table in there, but I say it takes up too much room. I know how pool tables go... they get a cover, never get played on, start getting stuff stacked on them and a year later you ask yourself, Why the heck did I put that in here?

I am trying to keep the pool table out....

You describe my multi media room WITH a pool table in it that never gets used!
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV Ballast III (stock), Heater, Roswell Quad Spin Pro, Bimini

Quote Originally Posted by philwsailz View Post
    Just wanted to show a few pics of my man-cave build out in the shop. I am losing the space for my office in the house, so building an office in the shop was only logical. Since I am swinging the hammer, I figure why not add enough space for a good theater. My plan is for in-walls, (I already have some nice Dayton Audio MTM in-walls on-hand) for the theater. I will then probably have some free-standing speakers on stands for any recording or editing work I do. I will have a small dry bar with fridge, and I may bring my shuffleboard in to the office from its current location in the garage.

I am ready for texture at the moment, then paint, then floor and trim, and themn I start moving in.
    Phil, that is awesome! building a play pen out in the shop! How COOL!

My $0.02, leave out the pool table for the reasons already listed, put in the wiring for an overhead projector. Add in a drop down screen in 2.35:1 format.

I built my current house and was ready for the roofer sub to show up, stood in the front room looking out a window and told my buddy, "call off the roofer and get your tape measure, I think I have enough room for a home theatre" (I have wanted one for a lonnnnng time), ended up adding a 20' wide x 22' long room and run an overhead JVC projector firing onto a 135" 2.35:1 Vutec screen - I love it!!!

Great photos and it looks like you are kicking @$$ on the project
    Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Eric.

Phil that looks awesome, the wife does know that you will be moving out there full time right? Also on the shuffleboard table it is definitely build-able with your wood working skills. I built mine with significantly less wood working equipment than you have.

Man I would love a 2.35:1 screen!

Here is mine that I built last year.
    https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....light=basement

-Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

I'd like a "drop down pool table". Then it's not in the way all the time but you can lower it when you want to play. On second thought, it's pretty heavy. Maybe have it come up out of the floor instead. Yeah, definitely rising up out of the floor. What? We're in fantasy land right?
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by New Guy View Post
    Phil that looks awesome, the wife does know that you will be moving out there full time right? Also on the shuffleboard table it is definitely build-able with your wood working skills. I built mine with significantly less wood working equipment than you have.

Man I would love a 2.35:1 screen!

Here is mine that I built last year.
    https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....light=basement

That is killer. Love it love it love it. Nice Work!!!!

I already have a 9' shuffleboard, but would like to build a new base for it. The playing surface is great but the rest orf it is MDF and has been beat on... I want to build a nice 6-leg support with levelers, and a new carpeted tray to put the maple playing surface into. That project WILL happen, I am just not sure when.

What is your bar surfaace?