Default engine revs but transmission no-go?

So on my first day out with the new boat, we launched, the engine started just fine but the boat wouldn't go anywhere. The engine rev'ed as though it were in neutral. After a quick panic, someone says "you should look at the engine". I'm mechanically inclined but this sounded stupid but I had a boat full of people becoming disappointed and I needed to make some sort of effort. I opened the hatch and immediately saw the problem.

During the 450 mile ride home, the transmission cable fell out of the bracket. Without holding the cable sheath in a fixed place, obviously nothing would happen. I just stuck the cable back in place and we were underway.

One question: can someone else check theirs? I'm surprised that this cable is just resting/wedged into a fork mount. Is there no positive lock for the mounting?

If that's the case, keep this in mind if your engine starts but you can't get it into gear.
    IMG_1531-b.jpg
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

There should be a metal arm that swivels around and holds it in place once the cable is in the slot. At least that's how mine are held on. I can't tell if yours has it or not by the pic.
    2007 Supra 20SSV - 325HP - SOLD (What's Next?)

Wetsounds Rev 10's
    XS-650's
    Syn 6
    Syn 4
    WS-420

Default engine revs but transmission no-go?

Zip tie should make an easy fix! I fix a cable linkage on a jeep transfer case with a zip tie once

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by kevkev View Post
    There should be a metal arm that swivels around and holds it in place once the cable is in the slot. At least that's how mine are held on. I can't tell if yours has it or not by the pic.
    Good to know. There definitely wasn't anything like that on the transmission cable but looking at the picture, I think I see something like that on the throttle cable. I'll have to investigate it further.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold