Default Need help please....oil extractor hose stuck in dipstick tube.

So i started changing the oil in the boat and put the oil extractor hose down the oil drain line and got a fair amount of oil out. I thought I would try putting it down the dipstick tube just to see if by chance I could get anymore out that way. When I was done I could not pull the hose out. I could push if further down and then pull it out but it would always come to the same spot and then just stop. It is stuck on something. I tried gently pushing and pulling, rotating the tube and pulling, pulling hard, and nothing. It is absolutely stuck on something. I have been reading online and this is a common problem. Someone suggested removing the dipstick tube, but I haven't tried it yet. I know there is a screw that kink of holds the dipstick in place. It sounds like if you take out the bolt you can slowly pull the dipstick out from the block because it is not screwed in. If that doesn't work the worst case would be to have the dealer pull the engine to get to the pan. Hoping someone has an idea that will work.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Bummer. I'd definitely be trying to get the dipstick tube unhooked as a first step.

Ok, 3 hrs later and i got it out!!!!! Holy crap that was a pain in the a$$. So I got the dipstick tube out and that was a tough job by itself. Once the tube was off nothing changed, I could push the hose deeper in and pull it out but it got caught every time at the exacts same length. I pushed a hanger down the hose to see if it would straighten the hose where it was getting kinked and pull it out but nothing. I just kept trying to twist the hose 1/8th turn, push and pull, and repeat. After about 20 min it came out. I have no idea why it released but at this point it doesn't matter, it is out. Getting the dipstick back in is also a real pain but I got it all back together. From the pictures it looks like the end of the hose might have got a little melted. This wasn't what caused it to get caught, you can see in the other picture where the hose is scratched up where it was getting caught. I don't know if there is any small pieces of hose in the pan but I think I might put a quart or two in and then just suck it out just incase there is some debris. So learn from my mistake and DO NOT USE AN OIL EXTRACTOR DOWN THE DIPSTICK!!!!
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

I've always used an oil extractor down the dipstick tube and never had any problems. Glad to hear you got it worked out though.
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale

Dosn't your boat have a rubber hose connected to the oil pan drain plug?

If an oil extractor has softer, more pliable nylon hose, its very easy for the end of the dipstick tube to put a nick in the nylon when the end of the extractor tube hits the pan and starts to turn up. This nick acts as a notch and catches on the dipstick tube. The higher grade professional extractor use tubes that are more rigid plastic like. They will not get nicked like the nylon ones and also make it easier to tell when you've hit the pan.

Glad you where able to get it out.

MLA that is some good info which leads me to ask which oil extractor the OP used? I've used a mityvac 7201 and never had problems so if be curious to know which he used.
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale

I used the mityvac7200 and it was brand new. The hose was very rigid. There was no notch worn into the hose where it was getting caught up. I sure would like to see the inside of the pan to see what was going on.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

I changed my oil that way in the Supra the first time ever (didn't realize there was a drain hose), and then also the next time I did it like you, in addition to the drain hose. I didn't have a problem those times. I don't do it anymore though because I didn't get any more out that way it seemed. Glad it worked out, but lesson learned I guess! I don't think it's necessary to do it anyway from my experiences.
    Boats previously owned - 2000 Supra Launch, 2003 Outback, 2006 Mobius LSV