Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Upcoming upgrades - ballast questions

We just got a 2007 LSV, so now I have to think about it all winter. To entertain myself, I'm starting to plan some modifications. I got some great ideas from this forum. I think that the top of the list will be a swivel seat, some ballast upgrades and a wind screen for the walk through.

It came with the GIII system. My end goal is to have large locker bags, IBS and plumbed with 3 dedicated reversible pumps. I have a couple of questions:
    1. Can I "ease" into this system, financially? I'd like to get the larger bags first. Can I live with the stock pump set up with longer fill times (20 minutes?) while I save some money for the pumps?
    2. It's not clear to me what size bags fit in the lockers. From what I've read, I think that 1100# bags fit (with bracing) but I've also read a lot of 750# set ups. Is 750# the limit for the earlier LSVs (2005 and earlier)?

Are there any other must-have modification projects that should be on my short-list?
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

Default Upcoming upgrades - ballast questions

Quote Originally Posted by gregski View Post
    1. Can I "ease" into this system, financially?
    Not without relentless ridicule from the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    Not without relentless ridicule from the rest of us.
    agreed. go whole hog or sit on the porch.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

The poor guy asks a couple of simple questions in one of his first posts and that's the welcome he gets?? Let the ridicule begin....

I have the smaller OBV, but you should be fine with the stock pumps until ready to upgrade and I believe the 1100# sacs should fit in your LSV just fine.
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    Looks to me like he's going bacon and hamhocks to start. guessing the rest of the whole hog will come after the sale of the ski boat and we all peer-pressure him into a new gigawatt soundsystem, led's, 18" shoes, tow cover, etc......
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by JGP54321 View Post
    Time to sit/fill or on the go?
    When we launch, we easily have 15+ minutes while the truck is parking, driver returns to the dock and we idle out of the no-wake and then the no-ski zones. The inconvenience would be when switching set-ups but I think we could tolerate a bit of waiting for the first season. But is ~20 minutes even in the ball park to fill say 600# in the rear lockers, the center and an IBS with the stock pump? Or am I talking about 40?
    2007 Mobius LSV

You don't want to fill with just one pump. I suggest you drill a new 1" thru-hull to supply your surf side bag and get a Tsunami pump like this one dedicated to the surf bag. You can keep everything else stock for now. (You can keep the pump or sell it later but you need the extra inlet for your eventual reversible pump on that side anyway.) You can also consider a T fitting and putting two of these on there.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Attwood-T1...2-VDC/14150754
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    I found a good deal on 4 Johnson ballast pumps that were bought new but never installed. I picked those up. I'll be picking up 1100# bags and the IBS in the spring. He wanted to sell all 4 together, so I decided I'd set up a x-link system with the 4th unless there is a compelling argument to do something different with it.

We took the boat out one last time (11/10), I took a wakeboard run and I was totally disappointed with the hole shot. I looked and it's the stock prop, so that will definitely be changing as soon as I find a good deal.

Which now means I'm going whole hog. You guys suck!
    2007 Mobius LSV

If you upgrade to the bigger bags in the back, you will find that you need an IBS to compensate for the weight. I've got the same boat and it loves weight in the bow. When we fill the 750's in the back for wakeboarding, we put an additional 800 in the bow on top of the IBS. So that's another bag you will need to fill soon enough, and you can't run all four on one pump in my opinion - it would take too long. You could save a little money and go with aerator pumps over the reversibles. That is what I currently have and they have treated me well (although reversibles would be nice). The timing really depends on you and how you most enjoy your time on the boat. Time to sit/fill or on the go?

The 1100's will fit in the 07 LSV with bracing as you said. If you plan to do a lot of surfing, definitely go with the 1100's. The 750's I have put out a good surf wave for our use but we spend most of our time and effort progressing on wakeboarding. As I mentioned earlier with the 750's and some weight up front, we get a great wake for boarding.

If it didn't come with Perfect Pass, that would be mod #1 in my book. The ACME 1433 or similar prop upgrade would be #2 with the added weight.
    Joey

2007 LSV
    Gravity III w/ 750's and IBS, Acme 1433
    WS-420SQ, Kicker KM6500.2, JL e4300, JL 12w6v2, JL e1400D, Polk db651s, JL JX360/4

Quote Originally Posted by mikenehrkorn View Post
    The poor guy asks a couple of simple questions in one of his first posts and that's the welcome he gets?? Let the ridicule begin....
    It's OK, I fully expected it. The "ease into it financially" was a bit tongue in cheek. I wish I could break out another hundred, but alas it's another thousand.

Quote Originally Posted by JGP54321 View Post
    If you plan to do a lot of surfing, definitely go with the 1100's.

If it didn't come with Perfect Pass, that would be mod #1 in my book. The ACME 1433 or similar prop upgrade would be #2 with the added weight.
    My wife is 100% surf, so that's my motivation to go 1100#. I'm probably 70/30 wakeboarding/surfing so I'll likely want a little less ballast for boarding but we'll see I'm basically giving up the slalom. I know people say the Mobius is a good cross-over, but I've never enjoyed skiing behind one - but of course I'm coming from a competition ski style boat with a sweet (none) wake at 30 mph.

It had already been upgraded to PP Star Gazer, which would have been #1 otherwise. My old boat doesn't have PP and I was tired of jerky pulls while every new driver learned. I forgot about the prop. I don't know what is on there so I'll need to look.
    2007 Mobius LSV