Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ballast Fill Times

Everyone,

My next project will be to upgrade the ballast system and I am currently reading what everyone has done and considering all options. What would be really helpful to me (and to others I'm sure) is to see some quantitative data, i.e., actual, accurate (timed, not estimated) fill times. For example, when I did the prop testing recently, I timed how long it took for my stock system to fill 1,310 lbs of ballast from empty. I considered the ballast full once water started coming out of the evac thru hull fitting. As soon as it did that, I shut off that switch. When water started coming out of evac thru hull fitting of the last bag, I stopped the timer.

So please post up your fill times and a brief description of your set up (# and size of intakes, size of fill hoses, model and # of pumps, + anything else you think is relevant). If you timed your system before the upgrade, please post that data too.

I'll start with some baseline data:

Stock G3 ballast system on 2006 LSV (one 3/4" intake, one 2000 GPH Rule pump, sprinkler valves), 1,310 lbs of ballast (455#x2 + 400#) took 14 min, 55 seconds to fill with boat at rest. Note: bags were not completely empty - they had been filled then emptied to the point that no more water was coming out of the evac fittings with boat at rest (but there was still some water in the bags).

If haven't timed your system yet, please do so next time you go out and post your fill times here. For consistency, please do this with your boat at rest as filling with boat underway will decrease fill times. Thanks in advance and let's keep this thread going!

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Al remember the system I was saying that I was going to put in? The 3 Tsunami 800's on the intake and drain side. Your system will be based on your biggest bag. For instance my biggest bag rightnow is a 550lb (16"x16"60" x.036=552lbs) the system I am putting says it will fill 110lbs a min. realisticly we'll say 100lbs a min. So my new system will fill in 5.53 min so roughly 5 min 35 sec. If your biggest bag is 455lb then you would be right around 4.55 min so about 4 min 35 sec. Just a simple way to figure out the tsunami fill times. The tsunami 1200 say 166lbs a min and the Tsunami 800 syas 110lbs a min. But remember Intake and line lengths will reduce those numbers. So it's a good rule to knock 10% off of those fill times.
    Hope this helps.
    2023 Moomba Mojo
    2013 Malibu VLX 21 - SOLD
    2005 Moomba XLV - SOLD
    2001 Supra - SOLD
    1998 Master Craft - SOLD

i have the factory set up didn't touch a thing just added the larger 750 lb bags and it took 14 minutes for them to fill up competely. i am happy with that cause it always takes time to get to the ski zone and get the gear out.
    08 lsv all red- dual battery system, kicker 700.5 and 450.2 amp, 10" kicker sub, wetsounds eq, polk db651 cabin speakers, exile xm7 tower speakers, ss thru hull fittings, seadek pad, evolutions cover

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10664

First off you need to actually measure your bag. I really don't believe they are as big as posted....I have measured mine. so the weights are suspect and may be out a 100lbs + or -. Anyways I can fill 2800lbs in 10 minutes and i have video proof. I figure the 1100's only hold about 1000lbs and the 750 prob only hold about 680lbs. Just my opinion from measurements taken. food for thought
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    First off you need to actually measure your bag. I really don't believe they are as big as posted....I have measured mine. so the weights are suspect and may be out a 100lbs + or -. Anyways I can fill 2800lbs in 10 minutes and i have video proof. I figure the 1100's only hold about 1000lbs and the 750 prob only hold about 680lbs. Just my opinion from measurements taken. food for thought
    Doc,

Even if the capacity of the bags is a little less than advertised, that's still fast. What ballast system does your boat have?

Thx.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

its the jabsco sytem
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

We did this test with an equal environment on the centurioncrew website. A lot of variables, but here is the quick overview.

Most pumps are close to their rating until you put sprinkler valves between it and the bags. Jabsco Ballast Puppies with sprinkler valves did not reduce the flow time much at all.
    Airator pumps like Mayfair, Johnson, Tsunami 1200 had their fill FLOW cut almost half if sprinkler valves were used. I think it was rated for 14gpm and actually with 3/4" hose was 6+gpm

IF you pull the springs on the sprinkler valves for better flow, Airator pumps are about the same as Jabsco Water puppies. I think Jabsco was still at 9gpm and airator pumps were around 10ish.

I don't have the link handy but I do have the springs on my sprinkler pumps pulled out and my ballast puppy could fill my enzo sac (1500lbs) in 14.5-16 minutes

I'm going off my head so don't shoot me on it, but you can look at Centcrew probably page 2 or 3 for the lengthy test.

Doc: do you have a jabsco pump directly to each bag (ie 3 seperate pumps feeding 3 bags bags). If so that sounds about right.

I'm going to leave my single jabsco and 3 bags and 'T' off my through-hull and add a tsunami 1200 with 1" line directly to my new 1100lb bag.

My single jabsco and sprinkler valves with springs removed is filling 2000lbs+ total right around 20 min mark.

09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

Doug

I herd some chatter last season about taking out the springs in the Sprinkler valves. Does this have any ill effects? I understand the procedure of removing them.

If i remove the springs whats the effect other then faster fill times? Every benefit generally comes with a negative.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]